2011 Fall Turkey Season

Turkeybuster

Re: 2011 Fall Turkey Season

Postby Turkeybuster » November 17th, 2011, 8:16 pm

To kee kee on the slate call run your striker 1/2" off the rim of the call with more than normal downward pressure.
Hold your striker lower closer to the tip try about 1/2" above the slate that should work for you. You can adjust this accordingly as you start to get the kee kee. Some slates will only do this at certain areas on the call surface so go around the call to find the sweet spot for this call. Vary the angle of your striker to get the desired pitch. This will work with a little practice. Let me know how it works for you.
I hunted one of my honey holes thisafternoon and found nothing its just like they dissapeared? I will be out again tomorrow I have never had a season such as this. By this time they should be scratching since all of the leaves are down it is definately a season to remember. Good Luck!

Jon :?
Turkeybuster

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » November 18th, 2011, 6:46 pm

I'll continue practicing the Kee Kee. Just can't seem to produce anything that sounds like the MP3 file on the NWTF site.

Think I am putting the gear away for the year. Went out today and found out the one road to the SGL I wanted to hunt was washed away in the Sept flood. Got excited as I figured this would be a major hunter determent (its quite a walk from the bridge to the parking lot up on top of the ridge) so I walked from the bottom of the hallow, all the way to the top.

Thoroughly expected to see tons of sign as it was quite evident the area had not been hunted hard (only one set of boot tracks).

Nothing. Not any turkeys. Not any turkey sign.

Guess this is what public land hunting has come to as I continue to see nice flocks on posted property.

Jordan

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » November 18th, 2011, 11:28 pm

I hunted state ground today with the same experience as you , not a sign of birds. There were no hunters either and this is prime turkey woods. Whatever I am not quitting until the season is over. Keep working on that call you may want to try a harder striker for the kee kee. If you cant get it to work we dont live that far apart I can meet you at funks or somewhere and see what we can do with the call.

Jon
Turkeybuster

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » November 20th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Thanks for the offer. I'll work on the call before harassing the people at funks with tons of turkey talk. :lol:

Didn't go out yesterday.

Think I may got out for the bonus two days later this week.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » November 23rd, 2011, 7:34 pm

Turkeys were back at the cemetary the beginning of the week!

Jon
Turkeybuster

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » November 27th, 2011, 4:19 pm

Turkeybuster wrote:Turkeys were back at the cemetary the beginning of the week!

Jon

How did you make with the remainder of the season? As you know, I am home rehabbing my knee and never made it out. There will be spring for sure.

Bob
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » November 28th, 2011, 9:04 pm

I did well Bob had to take it right down to the wire but got a last minute hen. This was the toughest fall season I have ever experienced. I hunted places that always hold birds and they just werent there its strange as it seemed everybody had the same problem. The mast and grapes were non existent but we are not lacking birds. I would love to have a answer for this one as they seemed to dissapear. How is the knee coming along sounds like you are doing well? You should be rearing to go by spring and by the way I am considering having the same procedure done as soon as your therapist can fit me in!

Jon
Turkeybuster

eggshell

Postby eggshell » November 29th, 2011, 7:03 am

Around here (southern Ohio) there were few poults and the flocks were mostly all adult birds. I have found the adults are more silent and spookier when the flock is down. I know deer hunters who sat on stands all day saw birds where I saw none. There was also ample food so they moved a lot. That's my thoughts. Also the more pressure you put on an area the more silent and illusive they get.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » November 29th, 2011, 6:40 pm

The birds were definately moving Dana and would not scratch. The bird I shot had insects in it and that was all.
The flock was picking and not scratching their way along. Talking to archery hunters some who hunt every day they had very few sightings of birds throught October. We had a good hatch despite the rainy weather as I saw a good amount of birds throught the summer months. Fall hunting in Pa. is almost a thing of the past so consiquently broken flocks are a rarity. I hunted three weeks and did not run into another turkey hunter in the woods it was a strange season to say the least.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Uncle Nicky2

Postby Uncle Nicky2 » November 30th, 2011, 9:17 am

I was hoping to get out Thanksgiving weekend, but couldn't get up the motivation for a 100 mile drive. Looking forward to next spring! :D

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania