Weekend Hunt

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Tom21inNM

Weekend Hunt

Postby Tom21inNM » November 8th, 2011, 2:19 pm

Gents, Need some thoughts.

I am headed up to the Montains North of me this weekend (a Short Drive so leaving early in the AM) for a Hunt, Current weather and most likely the same this weekend, is High 40's low 50's and windy, with a possible chance for Rain or even snow. I will be in heavily wooded Country with differeing terrains, from Pinon high desert to Ponderosa forest. Given those conditions, how would you all hunt the area?
Yeah my names Tom, guess I am a bit of a Turkey myself!

grizzly

Re: Weekend Hunt

Postby grizzly » November 8th, 2011, 5:06 pm

Tom i really don't know how much help i can be . hunting when the wind is blowing can make it hard to hear rain dosn't help . i would say that your best bet would be to move queitly and glass to locate a flock then try to maybe put on a stalk to but yourself into calling range . i realize that hunting a new area can be tuff. good luck and be safe....wayne

Tom21inNM

Postby Tom21inNM » November 9th, 2011, 11:29 am

Any advice is good advice, being new to all this Trukey Biz, its all trial and error right now. I am hoping for better weather but preparing for the elements.

Tom21inNM

Postby Tom21inNM » November 21st, 2011, 1:59 pm

So 2 hunts down and no luck, the first at the tail end of My deer hunt and the last just this weekend, We got to a place we know there are birds at, and spotted tracks in the mud and snow from the previous weekend within 100 yards of where we parked. The snow though had softened and refrozen all week so every step sounds like an elephant walking through a styrofoam plant. and with a 15 year old nephew who fidgets non stop, I am guessing any Bird within half a mile was gone before we set up. Qeustion for the masses, Ive purchased 2 books on Turkeys, the two EVERYONE sais you need to have, the one thing neither talk about is hunting in the snow and what Turkeys do when it gets cold, Any nuggets on this topic?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 29th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Around here in WI. I've found them to stick mostly to the south side hill slopes, that and they stay on the roost a lot longer in the mornings in the colder wheather, most times it's 9:30 or 10:00 before they flydown and then they head right for the feed.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

maineute

Postby maineute » December 28th, 2011, 9:54 pm

I bumped some turkeys today while I was out checking my minnow traps on a beaver pond. It is a quarter mile in from the road. The turkeys were out looking for food, I could see where they were digging down to the leaves to look for feed. After I checked my traps I spotted one on a ridge, I kept walking and saw the whole flock 25-30 on the other side of the ridge, they must have been there because it was the sunny side of the ridge closest to the swamp where the snow must have been the easiest to get through. I think turkeys are lazy, like humans, looking for the easiest food that they can get. I would ask your deer hunting friends where they see them in the snow.

Tom21inNM

Postby Tom21inNM » January 5th, 2012, 1:59 pm

I am already planning my hunts for Spring, Our season is less then a month, so I am going to start scouting early, and often to get a couple spots picked out. I think I may invest in a Blind and run and gun does not seem to work here, Weve got to much rough terrain and not enough farm fields to work. Hunting In NM specially in the Mountains is a Whole different ball game, plus after these holidays I need to hit the Treadmill...

Return to Strategies