Smoke and Fire V2011

Discussions not related to turkey hunting and clean humor
Steve_In

Smoke and Fire V2011

Postby Steve_In » November 13th, 2011, 5:38 am

Well Indiana deer opener found me in my stand with my flintlock. I saw several deer through the woods but nothing close. The suspository shooters were really cranking it up all around me so I knew they would have deer stirred up. About 9:15 I spot 2 deer headed my direction. They split up but the small buck kept coming my way. He went through a few openings before stopping long enough to give me a 40 yard broadside shot. I settled in and took a fine bead just behind the shoulder. Just as I tripped the lock I thought he took a step. When the smoke cleared he had taken a small jump and was slowly walking off. He stopped at the creek bank before laying down. I was stuffing powder and lead down the barrel when I saw his feet kicking. He kicked hard enough to slide down a five foot bank into the creek :cry: . The had shot hit almost where I was aiming. 5 point 106 lb buck. Pictures to follow. Heading out for a sausage deer now.
.54 Montana barrel
Walnut stock
L&R late English flintlock
Fuller knapped black English flint
120 grains 2f Goex
225 patched .530 round ball
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

kygobbler

Re: Smoke and Fire V2011

Postby kygobbler » November 13th, 2011, 6:14 am

Congrats Steve, too bad he slid down the bank. Im sure that wasnt fun getting him out I hope you had a four wheeler handy. Im surprised with the success people are having around here with the wind blowing at 25 mph. I hope everyone has a safe deer season.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » November 13th, 2011, 8:30 pm

The bank was not too bad. I just looped my drag rope over his antlers and pulled him up.
Im surprised with the success people are having around here with the wind blowing at 25 mph.
Not much shooting today with our wind, 25-35mph with higher gusts. I know how the lookouts in tall ships crowsnest feel. The woods I hunt has been hit hard with the emerald ash borer. There are way too many dead trees to make it a comfortable hunt when it is windy. When you hear one come down it kind of distracts you.
As promised here is a picture.
DSCN2377_1.JPG
DSCN2377_1.JPG (272.19 KiB) Viewed 317 times
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

grizzly

Postby grizzly » November 14th, 2011, 5:24 am

CONGRADS STEVE on a fine deer and hunt there's a speical feeling when we hunt with guns of our forefathers and are successful...wayne

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » November 14th, 2011, 9:43 pm

Congrats. Steve that is a nice deer and a nice rifle too. Ya gotta love those flinters I shoot a .50 cal. hawken. Good luck with the sausage deer.

Jon
Turkeybuster

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 18th, 2011, 6:57 pm

Congrats Steve on a fine deer with your flinter. ;)
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Off Topic