2011 Fall Turkey Season

Turkeybuster

Re: 2011 Fall Turkey Season

Postby Turkeybuster » November 11th, 2011, 7:31 pm

You are right about that I hunted all week with the exception of today. I found some beechnut the birds are working but have yet to catch up to them. I missed them Tue. by hunting another area. And yesterday they were ahead of me but went the opposite direction. Mon. I called a old gobbler in but he circled me and came up on the otherside of a backbone in the ridge and I couldn't get a shot. The buck are in full rut I could have killed at least three this week. This is some of the toughest turkey hunting I have ever witnessed I have hunted areas that always held birds but found no sign whatsoever. Hopefully this coming week will change their patterns but if not we will be overrun with them come deer season. Good Luck!

Jon
Turkeybuster

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » November 11th, 2011, 8:59 pm

I haven't found nothing in four days of hunting. Barely any scratching and a few feathers.

Buddy who hunts club land by Twin Grove State Park says they had flocks of 30 plus wandering around up till about two weeks ago.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » November 12th, 2011, 7:46 pm

My buddie shot a hen today all by itself in a field feeding on wild garlic. Keep the faith the coming week will tell the story.

Jon
Turkeybuster

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » November 14th, 2011, 7:45 pm

I've been hunting the Monroe Valley mountain chain...which is probably 7-10 miles long. After not finding enough to convince me the flocks are inhabiting the area, I went and hunted a entirely different mountain chain.

Found a ton of old scratchings that a decent flock left behind. Only problem they are at least two weeks old. :ugeek:

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » November 14th, 2011, 9:50 pm

I was back at it today again nothing has changed I went back after the old bird but he didn't want to play. Found some scratching that was done over the weekend but again no birds. What a year and looks like rain the next two days. Well good luck tomorrow is another day.

Jon
Turkeybuster

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » November 14th, 2011, 10:04 pm

What's some decent locator calls for fall hunting?

Being only 22, not a lot of years of turkey hunting under these boots. In fact I'm only starting to figure things out for the easier season (Spring), but fall I continue to strike out.

Never had much luck. In Spring I call tons of hens in. Yet during fall I have yet to call a single bird in.

Is it because they are in flocks? Should I use something other than my normal yelps and clucks?

Thanks for the help and good luck to ya.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » November 15th, 2011, 9:47 am

Locator calls are a spring thing to trick a gobbler into revealing his location not for fall hunting. Blind calling in the fall has a low percentage rate unless you know there are birds in your location or a flock has been recently broken.
Lack of hunting pressure in the fall has caused this season to be extremely frustrating but can change quickly if you can find birds and get them broken. I hunt hard and log as many miles possible to try and find them. You are not doing anything wrong with your yelps and clucks it is a extremely tough year to find birds. I always do a fair amount of kee kees mixed in with my calling in the fall this call will generally bring a response if you are to get one at all. The kee kee or (kee kee run which has yelps mixed in) is probably the best locator call for fall. Another tip to remember when you find birds try to kill one on the BREAK but dont take a random shot into the flock. If you do not have a good shot shoot into the air and empty the gun. Do not try to run and shoot that is very dangerous and will accomplish nothing. Find a good set up and wait tell you hear the birds start to call then mimmic their calls and mix the kee kee's in. If I dont hear birds calling within a half hour I start calling. Among the turkey hunters I know which is quite a few I know of only two birds killed at this point everybody is having the same problem. Dont get disgusted! Birds are starting to move a lot more now and they could show up anywhere. Good Luck I am headed to the woods right now if for nothing more than to get my tail feathers wet.

Jon
Turkeybuster

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » November 15th, 2011, 10:14 pm

Well then I am screwed as I stink at the diaphrams. So no Kee Kee Run for me.

Any luck today?

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » November 16th, 2011, 8:13 pm

I didnt hunt today due to the heavy rain but no luck again yesterday no sign of birds either. If it's not raining in the morning I will be out there again but in a different area. Almost running out of places to look. You can do a kee kee on a slate or glass call also on a good longbox I dont know what calls you use but they will all work? I will update tomorrow evening. Let me know what calls you use.

Jon
Turkeybuster

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » November 17th, 2011, 1:35 pm

I was out yesterday, mainly just to get some field time. Didn't see a whole lot of sign on the opposite ridge.

How are you suppose to mimic the whistle/wee wee sound that the kee kee run is, on a slate?

I a couple slates, a couple push button and my go to Lynch World Champion.

Didn't get out today but hoping to tomorrow.

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania