kids fishing

Discussions not related to turkey hunting and clean humor
kygobbler

kids fishing

Postby kygobbler » November 9th, 2011, 8:15 am

Gentleman, I need some help on getting my son to catch fish. I have taken my son fishing at my families pond 3 times in the last week. Our objective was to try and catch as many crappie as we could due to someone putting 13 crappie in a 3 acre pond, a year ago. In the 3 day span of a total of maybe 6 hrs of fishing I caught 135 but my son only caught a grand total of one. Ive tried watching and correcting how he was holding the rod tip and the speed he was reeling in and then I let him try is own way. We was both using the same type of jig and I even let him use my pole and still he couldnt catch anything. I want him to like fishing but as we all know if kids are not catching anything they are not going to like it. So if anyone has any helpfull tips Im all ears and thanks in advance.
Is it turkey season yet?

Steve_In

Re: kids fishing

Postby Steve_In » November 9th, 2011, 9:34 am

Try using a slip bobber with the jig. Once you find the depth they are at he should do better.
Or maybe you light the fuse and let him chuck the dinomite :D :lol:
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » November 9th, 2011, 1:03 pm

My wife is a girly girl, but, turns out my baby likes to FISH :D
Anyhow, to get her interested I started her out bass fishing with a simple Ugly Stick rod and reel combo burning worms.
I know it is late in the year for that, but, when it is warm and I want some beautiful company while I fish, she has fun catching bass with a simple worm. Also, she wasn't sure how to tell if a bass was biting, so i had to teach her that if she felt the rod tapping that was one and set the hook. That girly girl can do it to it now! Fishing with her beats turkey hunting alone anyday.

Bream fishing is pretty good to start on too because bream hit anything..
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » November 9th, 2011, 4:33 pm

Hello guys, been gone awhile. Taking a youngster fishing can be a lot of fun and a challenge all at the same time. I raised two girls as fisher-hunter-women and am now working at getting four grand-kids interested in the outdoors. When I started with my girls and with my grand-kids I stuck with using live bait. They took to that style of fishing real fast. We have a two acre pond on the place and the grand-kids do real well here with night crawlers and bobbers on small ultra light gear. Nothing like a seven year old with a two pound bass on an ultra light to light the fire in your heart. I hope you and your boy have many years of fishing and hunting together, those are some of my fondest memories of my two girls when they were growing up.
Ted
:)
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

Return to Off Topic