Bow hunting Turkeys?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Scrapemaker

Bow hunting Turkeys?

Postby Scrapemaker » January 9th, 2009, 5:35 pm

I'm going to try it this year.Have any of you taken a gobbler with a bow?Where is the best arrow placement?Are mechanical broad heads ok.Oh and i'm going to do it without a blind.Any advice or links would be great.

gobbler_getter

RE: Bow hunting Turkeys?

Postby gobbler_getter » January 12th, 2009, 8:42 am

i dont really have any advice but i have always wanted to try to get a turkey with my bow. i will say it is a much smaller target and they have great eyes so when up pull back you should either wait for them not to be looking or be ready in advance.
good luck with turkey hunting this spring

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 12th, 2009, 9:18 am

i've never taken a gobbler with my bow,but i have taken a few hens in the fall(w/out a blind) & i will have to say getting pulled back is the biggest factor in getting a quality shot,the but of the wings is what i have always aimed for turn your poundage down & try to get your arrow to stay in the bird it makes recovery a lot easier.ive always been told if you can get a bird while he is strutting to give him the ol' texas heart shot if you know what i mean.if your going to use expandables i would probably go with the rage they are devestating (huge entry holes)   GOOD LUCK this spring

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » January 12th, 2009, 10:23 am

Good luck with the bow hunting w/o a blind, in that scenario I would suggest someone doing your calling from a differnt location than the one you'll be at, at least thats how I'll be doing it for the longbow this year as the bow is too long for the blind. Keep in mind we're filming the hunts also. Don't use a wheel bow without going to mechanicals, I did and made a clean shot and seen the bird dead in a swollen creek as the creek swept my jake away. I,ve shot a rage and an after shock, both mechanicals, and I'll be using the aftershock gobbler that comes in either 2" @ 100grains or 2 3/4" @ 125 grains. It leaves a huge hole and the entry is small. No need to turn your bow down with this broadhead as it open inside the vitals area. I've talked with a lot of turkeykillers who only bowhunt, and they tell me that they've seen the Rage bounce off because of open blades even more so on a wheel bow that is been turned down. Something to think about.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
L.K.LESLIE
HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
MOSSY OAK PROSTAFF
[img]local://214/2D3DFFE8352B41E3A81747EBOBC5F370[/IMAGE]

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 12th, 2009, 10:46 am

every bird i have taken with my bow has fallen to my exact deer set up 65# pull muzzy 100 gr broadheads.i recently switched to the rage 3 blades for deer season & i have to say when DEER hunting they are the baddest head that i have ever used super accurate & COMPLETE PENETRATION,now i will say that l.k.does bring up a good point, when you are turkey hunting you might want to use one of the inferiorly designed broad heads that open up inside the animal instead of @ contact it might help keep the shaft in the bird, now as far as bouncing off your target...i have had this happen 1 time in my life while using one of the mechanicals of inferior design (spitfire) i shot @ a nice sized doe & hit her a little high in the back & the way that those heads open caused it to just bounce off of her spine it made a REAL loud smack & i bet stung for a couple days but it never penetrated the skin now the rage opens from behind so I dont see how it would be possible for these heads to richochet off of an animal

gobbler_getter

Postby gobbler_getter » January 14th, 2009, 4:44 pm

what about some gullitine broadheads(excuse my spelling). i have always seen these broadheads and wondered about them but for just one of them it is like fourty bucks and the most i am willingto spend is fourty bucks on my rage 3 broadheads which include 3 and not just one broadhead. or another broadhead i found for turkey hunting is the turkey terror

Tntrkyhntr

Postby Tntrkyhntr » January 14th, 2009, 5:43 pm

My best bow bird had an 11 1/4" beard and 1 1/8" spurs taken on a fall hunt, same set up as deer.  I shot him broadside with fixed broadhead, had to finish him with second shot pinning him to the ground.  This year on opening day of deer season I shot a hen with a Shuttle T Loc broadhead @ 21 yards, severing her head and running down her back 9 inches, almost like I was field dressing her from the top side.  Both birds were shot without the use of a blind, and both birds were quickly recovered.  I have missed a few more times with a bow than I care to share, so be prepared mentally....this will be a great challenge to undertake.  Your deer set up will work just fine, the only thing I would add is something called a turkey stopper....it screws on to your arrow shaft behind the broadhead....it has 4 prongs, and is designed to slow down the arrow upon penetration, transfering kinetic energy from the arrow to the bird upon impact.  Those other broadheads are devastating as well, I have seen footage that completely decapitates the head from the turkey-UNBELIEVABLE!!  They just seem awkward to transport safely, having 3 four inch blades sticking out....but they work!
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
Commando Hunting Products Pro Staff
President Middle Tn Kids Hunting For A Cure

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion