Season Rolls on

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
eggshell

Season Rolls on

Postby eggshell » October 23rd, 2011, 6:27 am

I haven't updated my hunting reports lately, so I'll catch up. The last thing I posted was about some gobblers I'd located. The next day those old birds moved all around us and we finally got position and was ready for some action and dogs ran off our birds. we couldn't get them fired up as they went off the property.

The next few days the weather flat out was nasty and I did not hunt until Friday. Friday evening we took my buddies mountain Cur and went. He busted one small group and they all flew down into a deep valley and we moved on as these two old men didn't fancy walking into that drain and climbing back out. About 45 minutes hour before roost time the dog busted a gobbler group. We sat up and one old gobbler flew back down about 100 yards in front of me, but knew I was there and moved off. The rest of the birds we had to leave because shooting hours ended. So we were back yesterday and those gobblers lit it up, gobbling and yelping and looking for each other. I was certain at least one was going to die, but wouldn't you know they escaped us. I had one bird fly down and lite right behind me. I could see to where the most vocal bird was gobbling so I didn't want to turn on the bird, thinking he would expose himself as he walked to the other gobbler. You guessed it, he somehow slipped by me and I never got a shot. We sat and watched as all 5 gobblers assembled 150 yards in front of us and fed away. we tried circling, but got busted and could never fire them up again. We heard some other birds across the valley at daylight, but couldn't fire them up later. So we quit at noon and I did not hunt anymore yesterday. I am still trying to kill a gobbler, but am getting itchy and will most likely take anything soon.

We aren't hunting this morning as all the gear is packed and ready to head to Kentucky for three days of fall turkey hunting. First we go to church and then pull out around noon. Any legal turkey is in trouble in Kentucky, if they get close. Will be back to report Wednesday.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

mark hay

Re: Season Rolls on

Postby mark hay » October 23rd, 2011, 12:29 pm

Dana, your probably already gone ,,,,but have a safe trip and a great hunt in Ol' Caintuckee.

I'd be as happy as could be if I had at least got half the action you've been involved with . Today is the first time I heard a turkey on the public land . Trouble is , at least today , I could not course the sound , and 40 crows yakkin' it up didn't help any . But , I moved here and there slowly and cold called ,,,some hen talk ,,,mostly gobbler stuff. Still haven't seen any recent sign . But the acorn crop is far better than I had anticipated .

Standing in a transition area of big cedars and hardwoods I remained quiet for quite a while after my abusing of the trumpet and Rocky Fork box . My feet were cold but stayed still and then I heard something moving down below me . I did a quick scan of the ditchline and spotted a young 6 point . Possibly a 2 yearold from defective genes . He was handsome enough though , sporting an even shaped rack of around 12-14 inches wide and about the same in height. He had already crossed my trail without getting spooked . I made a couple young buck grunts with my voicebox and he stopped . By this time I had already squatted to remove the 6'3'' human silhouette. He stood rock still for about ten minutes then turned to my left and began a half circle . He came just inside 20 yards before spotting me . But , I had by this time stood up due to some leg pains caused by the squatting . One quick look and he trotted back down the hill .
I was thinking of some bucks from the past as he came up that hill looking for another buck . Several of those bucks fell dead to a .45 Colt single action . The cause of death for quite a few deer and the problem with my hearing ,,,at least partially anyway .

No turkeys , but a fine crisp morning in the woods . Seen at least 6 different deer and probably 25 squirrels . Was forced to listen to the crows sunday sermon ,,,,which was outright heresy.

The Parker Bros. where down to their camp this weekend . I hoped to get in a short visit before they pulled out , but I missed them . Everything locked up and the gate too as I drove by on my way out of the area .

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 26th, 2011, 9:41 pm

Well, this could be going better. Left Sunday for Kentucky and after three days of hunting came home tired and meatless. We found plenty of birds just could not seal the deal. Busted three flocks and could only call in one loan hen off those bust. Three of us had that gal surrounded and no one could get a shot. We saw very few young birds and the old ones didn't play fair. I think all those flocks were made up of mature hens. They would chatter and call like crazy on the roost and then spend an hour fighting, before shutting up and disappearing. They would answer calls but never come. My one buddy did miss two birds and took a ton of ribbing for it. So it's back for the December season in Kentucky.

I went out this evening to the gobbler roost on my cousin. It was windy as &^** and I couldn't hear anything, But I sat on the roost area like a trooper. Sure enough those old boys showed, but because of the wind I never heard them coming. I turned to see a long beard staring me down at 10-15 yards! Crap, my gun in my lap I just sat still. As he started to move off I tried raising the gun and sure enough he busted me and ran to the lip and launched with four other gobblers taking wing after him. One gobbler split way right of the others and another went left, so if it's not too nasty in the morning I'll be right back there. If I can't get one of those gobblers to work I'll shift to the hen and poult ridge, it's time for some turkey revenge!

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » October 27th, 2011, 1:32 pm

sounds like the cur dogs the only one having , fun ....stick to the dog he will show you the way !!
Break em at Night...Back at light

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 27th, 2011, 3:17 pm

The dog is having a blast turkeydoghunter, he hopes we never tag out. My buddy filled his tag off a bust this morning on another ridge. I didn't go until 8:30 as it rained like crazy here. I figured the gobblers were back together by then, but I did fire them up. They yelped and gobbled and tormented me all morning, but no one would show his head until about 11:30. I looked out in a field to see a lone gobbler slowly working my way, game on right. Not so fast, I needed to make a call or two this morning so I stuck the cell phone in my pocket and forgot all about putting it on vibrate. When that ole gobbler was a 50 yards, you guessed it, the cell phone rang. He didn't run but started looking for what that sound was, and sure enough he figured out that funny shape where the noise was is bad news and away he went. I called my buddy back and said thanks for spooking my gobbler. He promptly reminded me only a fool would be carrying a live cell phone not on vibrate, turkey hunting. Color me a fool. In the last year I've had more weird things happen than in the previous 40 years of turkey hunting. It been entertaining though. Now it's war on any turkey!

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » October 28th, 2011, 1:41 pm

Eggshell it sounds like your being very successfull on finding the birds and eventually you will seal the deal.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 30th, 2011, 7:28 pm

0ct 30 ,,no sounds ,no sightings . Did find some scratching . No droppings nor feathers ,,,small scratchin's . I believe it was young birds .
Prime turkey habitat was intruded upon by a lanky red headed wanna be turkey hunter . All he found was a bow totin' deer hunter from Georgia . Had a pleasant conversation with him . He was covered with sweat ,,,,just a mite over dressed for such a nice day ,,,though it was in the upper 20's at sun up .

Stopped by the Parker Bro's. camp on my way out . Was disappointed to find that they were expecting me to stop by during the spring season . Well, I had intended to . But , they were either gone home when I went there or I just didn't hunt that side of the area . Disappointing anyhow ,,,,John brought along a whole box full of turkey calls he made :o . Oh well ! Maybe next time .
Them boys are stackin' up the deer carcasses . They work at it and are successful .
They also told how they all tagged out in the spring . Plus five youth hunters . That says a lot for their skill as turkey hunters .
They did also give up some places where they had seen several turkeys while sitting in their stands .Guess I'll have to mosey over that way sometime during the week while they ain't hunting .

Couldn't ask for a more splendid day . Nice and cool . Didn't require a lot of excess clothes . Just some grub , water and lots of land to roam around lookin' for turkeys . I enjoyed every minute of it .

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 30th, 2011, 8:07 pm

Hey Mark, glad you enjoyed a day in the woods. I did not hunt today (Sunday). I didn't have time before church and needed a day of rest. My daughter had said she wanted to go, but changed her mind. My honey hole has dried up. The birds moved off the property and I haven't worked a bird in 4 days. I'll drift around a bit and maybe find some more. Deer hunters have me bumped from my other hot spot. I hope I don't regret letting several hens and poults walk, but I'd have missed a lot of good days enjoying the woods had I shot an early bird. Here's a photo of something neat I saw, a black fox squirrel. It's really not a good photo but you can see how black he really was. I only had my cell phone for a camera.
Attachments
black squirrel - Copy.jpg
black squirrel - Copy.jpg (109.34 KiB) Viewed 938 times

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » October 30th, 2011, 8:35 pm

hang in there Hay and Eggshell your time is coming....Stay after them.A 4-day bear season starts here on Monday I guess I will try to get me one of those critters,If I get time to go.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » October 31st, 2011, 7:48 am

Huntertown and a few others have some black phase greys that were imported sometime back. I have never seen a live black or albino fox squirll though.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Next

Return to Fall Hunting