2011 fall turkey hunts

dewey

2011 fall turkey hunts

Postby dewey » October 23rd, 2011, 10:19 am

Hey guys/gals, has anybody been out fall turkey hunting? If so how has the hunt been?

I am going next Friday October 28th through Sunday October 30th on my father in laws land near Detroit Lakes. I will be joined by a good friend of mine and the goal will be to get him his first gobbler.

Good luck to all of you.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

kygobbler

Re: 2011 fall turkey hunts

Postby kygobbler » October 25th, 2011, 10:35 am

So far the fall season down here has been good. I have gotten 2 hens and a jake with a bow, crossbow, and shotgun. I have one more tag left and its saved for a big gobbler that has been escaping from me. Hopefully I can get him before Friday ends or I will have to wait until shotgun season opens again in December. Has anyone been seeing any big flocks? The flocks I have been seeing are anywhere from 10 to 20 in the group. I have yet to find any gobbler flocks yet. The gobbler that Im after is still all by himself, for some reason.
Is it turkey season yet?

dewey

Postby dewey » October 25th, 2011, 8:30 pm

How are you going to kill that last gobbler? With a slingshot? :D Seriously though Congrats on the season so far and good luck on that last tom. My father in law, my personal scout, has been seeing 25-35 turkeys per day at about 7:30 a.m. and a few of them are toms. I am after a gobbler this weekend but if a hen dares me to shoot her I will comply.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » October 26th, 2011, 8:45 am

Hey Dewey, Im going to try to get a hold of an ACME product and get the last gobbler. Does anyone have one that I can borrow? :lol:
This is the first time I have ever gotten one with a bow and with a crossbow. I guess now I might have to try to get one with a muzzle loader but I dont see that happening for a while, if ever. Good luck to you.
Is it turkey season yet?

dewey

Postby dewey » October 26th, 2011, 10:39 am

kygobbler wrote:Hey Dewey, Im going to try to get a hold of an ACME product and get the last gobbler. Does anyone have one that I can borrow? :lol:

Kind of like these? Great idea I got a good laugh out of that.

Here is an email I got from my father in-law.

Don't know if I told you, but the other morning with the huge group of turkeys here I tried my turkey call out the little bathroom window in the bedroom. Guess I don't have it down yet....the frickin things started to riot!!!!! Chasing each, other running in circle, fighting each other....must have pissed them off!!:-))

2 more days.

Dewey

images.jpg
images.jpg (65.18 KiB) Viewed 1309 times

54226.jpg
54226.jpg (108.98 KiB) Viewed 1309 times

       

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » October 26th, 2011, 9:29 pm

I was out once a couple weeks ago down near Red Wing. Spent the whole day walking some good looking country, never saw a bird. didn't see much for sign either. I suppose since this is the last weekend I'd better give it one last try, but its been so hard to pull myself away from the grouse/waterfowl...

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » October 27th, 2011, 4:17 pm

I like the pics Dewey and knowing my luck the rope would be wrapped around my ankle when I shot. I went out yesterday afternoon to find the big gobbler. Now I have been hunting turkeys for about 9 or 10 yrs now and I've been hunting in general since I was about 10 and it amazes me that I can still make some dumb rookie mistakes. I pulled into my hunting area nice and quiet and made sure to shut the doors quietly also. I get about 30 yds from my truck and I realized that I left my gobbler lounger in the truck so I go back and get it. I open up the back door to get it and what do you know my alarm goes off. :x I sneak up in the woods and setup where I shot a hen the other day and wait. I hear some rustling of leaves about 30 yds in front of me but cant see what is making the noise but I get my gun up just incase. 30 mins go by and I dont see or hear anything so I let a couple of soft clucks from two different calls and when I put the calls down something catches the corner of eye. I turn around and its two hens of course they see me move and decide to get out of town but they dont give off the alarm putt. Well I decide to stay put because I figured they would come back in a few minutes. After about 20 minutes I see movement again coming over the hill where the hens were and low and behold its a flock of gobblers. I was like YES and now where is the big boy. There was 15 in the flock but they were all either jakes with stubs or 1.5 yr olds with about 7 to 8" beards. My big boy wasnt in the group but it looks like this spring will be fun.
Is it turkey season yet?

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » October 27th, 2011, 9:06 pm

well, ky, you're a better man than me, i would surely have offered one of them gobblers a ride home in my jeep, but congrats on holding out for the one you want, and also for what sounds like an awesome season so far, va. starts saturday [ gun ] and i have to work, but we'll be after 'em monday.....good luck this weekend dewey
David

You never know, unless you go

dewey

Postby dewey » October 27th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Like yelp said my hat is off to you for not taking one do the gobblers you saw home with you as I am not sure if I would have been able to resist. Do you think that gobbler is by himself? I really hope you get him though as he maybe starting to become dare I say a bad bird. My father in law has 20-30 turkeys pretty well patterned but I am going to try and hold out for a gobbler until Sunday and then if it looks at me wrong. BOOM!!!

Dewey

       

Return to Minnesota