2011 Fall Turkey Season

hckyplayer8

2011 Fall Turkey Season

Postby hckyplayer8 » October 21st, 2011, 10:28 am

Well fellas we're just sitting a mere 8 days from the opener for the majority of WMU's.

Haven't been out too much scouting and I'm not big on archery for deer. Everybody I have talked to haven't seen any sign or flocks.

The local flock at the Gap have long disappeared.

Interesting times ahead.

Turkeybuster

Re: 2011 Fall Turkey Season

Postby Turkeybuster » October 21st, 2011, 9:45 pm

I havent been out myself and the archery hunters havent been seeing birds either. I will be in the woods next week hope to find some birds somewhere. Not sure about the acorn crop yet it could be spotty some of the central counties seem to have a good crop but the north central region is not good. It could be a tough season finding birds.
Hopefully the cool weather will stay with us now and the birds start to move more. When the leaves come down and the inscets start to dissapear they will start to scratch more and that will be a big help to us locating birds.
Be prepared to do a lot of walking by the looks of things.

Jon
Turkeybuster

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » October 22nd, 2011, 9:30 am

And to make matters worse, some weather models have a snowstorm affecting interior elevated regions of PA on the 29th.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » October 22nd, 2011, 10:35 pm

Actually I like that idea turkeys leave tracks , and I love to hunt in the snow especially the first one or two.
The birds seem to panick with the first snow of the season and move a lot I hope we get it. If you think those birds dissapeared in the gap you may be in for a pleasant suprise. If you are talking about IGMR. we are hunting basically the same area.

Jon
Turkeybuster

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 23rd, 2011, 3:01 pm

Here's wishing you Pa. Boys a good season . It's amazing how turkeys seem to be non-existent during early fall .
I understand how the snow can help ,,,,BUT I PERSONALLY HOPE TO NEVER SEE THAT STUFF AGAIN . :D

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » October 23rd, 2011, 10:50 pm

Turkeybuster wrote:Actually I like that idea turkeys leave tracks , and I love to hunt in the snow especially the first one or two.
The birds seem to panick with the first snow of the season and move a lot I hope we get it. If you think those birds dissapeared in the gap you may be in for a pleasant suprise. If you are talking about IGMR. we are hunting basically the same area.

Jon

Doubt it. The flock I'm talking likes to hanging by the Funks station on 934.

I fish Memorial Lake a lot, so I get to pass by that house there that sits across from Funks. They must have a feeder because the deer and turkeys get drawn that to area like a magnet.

There was a flock of 4-5 toms, all with beards dragging the ground, that had hung in that area from about Independence Day to late Sept. They have since disappeared.

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » October 23rd, 2011, 10:52 pm

mark hay wrote:Here's wishing you Pa. Boys a good season . It's amazing how turkeys seem to be non-existent during early fall .
I understand how the snow can help ,,,,BUT I PERSONALLY HOPE TO NEVER SEE THAT STUFF AGAIN . :D

Thanks Mark. If Oh hasn't had their fall season yet, hope ya have a good one too.

maineute

Postby maineute » October 24th, 2011, 1:41 am

There was a flock of 4-5 toms, all with beards dragging the ground, that had hung in that area from about Independence Day to late Sept. They have since disappeared.

I had a similar situation here in Maine. I had birds on my trail camera everyday since the spring hunt. Then three weeks before the season they disapeared. Never saw them again. I hunted the field during the season, never saw them but did see foxes and have pics of coyotes on the trail camera. I have a feeling that they moved for food and not for predators though. The flocks I did seee during the hunt were in the woods moving dried leaves around for feed. I don't think it is acorns they are eating... not sure, but they were all in the woods.

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » October 24th, 2011, 11:00 pm

Got out today squirrel hunting/scouting.

Found a single feather.

No scratchings or poop.

Acorns are abundant here.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » October 25th, 2011, 9:47 pm

hckyplayer8 wrote:Got out today squirrel hunting/scouting.

Found a single feather.

No scratchings or poop.

Acorns are abundant here.

Yep we are hunting the same area , Iknow that flock at funks they are really nice birds. That flock has been there a long time but is not huntable. Where did you find acorns on the mountain or in the bottoms? I still didn't get out yet I
had to get some work done on the Explorer but it is finished up now.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Next

Return to Pennsylvania