your turkey gun

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Todd1700

RE: your turkey gun

Postby Todd1700 » May 29th, 2011, 11:08 am

12 gauge Mossberg 835 Tactical Turkey

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » July 20th, 2011, 6:34 am

I am working on something special for Dr. Evil (the Gobbler that busted me) this off season.
Once I have it finished in the Lab I will provide pics.
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

jem44357

Postby jem44357 » July 21st, 2011, 12:31 am

Thompson Center Encore, 20 ga. 20" barrel with Tru Glo sights, synthetic fore/thumb hole butt stocks all in Real Tree Hardwoods camo, currently shooting Winchester 1 5/16 oz. # 5's. This is an awesome turkey killer out to 25 yds. Getting ready to try a different choke and some other loads hopefully to strech it out to 30-35 yds.

Here's the pic with a little extra eye candy.

Top to bottom...

28" 870 barrel
870 with 26" barrel and turkey extra full choke... original turkey gun
870 synthetic stocks 18" fully rifled barrel with an Aim point red dot scope... The stealth bomber
The Encore described above with my late sons birth date as the SN
SSK Industries 16" Encore barrel with integral muzzle brake and a Leupold 2.5 x 8 long eye relief scope chambered for the SSK Mini Dreadnought which is a 220 swift case w/6.5 mm bullet and Pachmayr pistol grip and fore stock and an extra long barrel synthetic fore stock
Thompson Center Pro Hunter 26" fully rifled 20ga. slug barrel with an Aim point red dot scope and an extra butt stock for my left handed daughter

Jim
Gobble Gobble... Boom! It'll be Turkey huntin' soon

T/C ENCORE 20" 20Ga. Winchester Supreme High Velocity Turkey Loads 1 5/16 oz. #5's

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » July 23rd, 2011, 9:16 am

my main turkey killing gun is my old REM 870 EXPRESS MAGNUM 3IN 26 in BARREL 28in WITH A TRU GLO GOBBLE STOPPER CHOKE 665 I THINK? ITS THE OLD SCHOOL 1 NONE PORTED VERSION MATCHED WITH FEDERAL MAG-SHOK HEAVYWEIGHT LOADS IN 3in 1 5/8oz #5 SHOT or FEDERAL LEAD #5s 1 3/4 oz BOTH WITH THE FLITE CONTROL WAD throw a killer pattern out to 60 yrds plus but 50 yrds is my limit 4 a sure clean kill... sometimes i also will carry my dads old fav a MODEL 37 ITHACA 2 3/4 in... he used it to take turkeys with that & a BIG 10GA untill like 3-5 yrs ago he still brings it as a back up... with FEDERAL LEAD SHOT & THE FLITE CONTROL WAD THAT 2 3/4 in ITHACA CAN KNOCK EM DOWN OUT TO 35-40 yrds IF NEED BE...

TeocTom

Re: your turkey gun

Postby TeocTom » October 18th, 2011, 11:53 am

Remington 870 20ga. with Remington Super Full Turkey Choke.
This will be upgraded to SSX Choke using Hevi-Shot and a Shur-Shot stock.
Once I have this complete I will post pictures.

Yes, Dr. Evil, I am coming again for you this spring......enjoy the fall and winter :twisted:
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 29th, 2011, 6:29 pm

I normally shoot whatever I've been shooting the most when the season comes in. This year however I decided to use a black 3" Benelli Vinci. It's just so light and shoots right where I aim it. I can also get 2-3 shots off, if needed, and keep a good sight picture because it has very little muzzle jump.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » November 3rd, 2011, 11:26 am

allaboutshooting wrote:I normally shoot whatever I've been shooting the most when the season comes in. This year however I decided to use a black 3" Benelli Vinci. It's just so light and shoots right where I aim it. I can also get 2-3 shots off, if needed, and keep a good sight picture because it has very little muzzle jump.

Thanks,
Clark

Clark,
Gotta ask......what choke do you have on that Benelli?
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 5th, 2011, 10:16 pm

TeocTom wrote:
allaboutshooting wrote:I normally shoot whatever I've been shooting the most when the season comes in. This year however I decided to use a black 3" Benelli Vinci. It's just so light and shoots right where I aim it. I can also get 2-3 shots off, if needed, and keep a good sight picture because it has very little muzzle jump.

Thanks,
Clark

Clark,
Gotta ask......what choke do you have on that Benelli?

Currently, I have a Hevi-13 turkey choke in it. I've also had the SSX, a Wright's, a Pure Gold, a Strangler and a couple of others at different times. It seems to get along very well with the H-13 choke and patterns exceptionally well with it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

eriedukr

Postby eriedukr » December 14th, 2011, 12:08 pm

A Benelli Nova Turkey model, 24" bbl, 3.5" chamber, Pure Gold Turkey choke[.670] constriction.
Jay Nageleisen

El Pavo Grande

Postby El Pavo Grande » December 23rd, 2011, 10:31 pm

I shot my old Remington 1100 for years and loved it. My dad bought it when I was young and I hunted everything (dove, squirrel, deer, turkey) with it. Then about 10 -11 years ago my wife (then girlfriend) suprised me with a 3" Browning Gold and I have turkey hunted with it since. Up until this past spring I had shot the factory full, but switched to a Jelly Head. I have tried several loads. With 1100 I always shot the Winchester Hi-Velocity #4 and did for a while with the Browning. I think I am settled on Hevi-Shot #6. A little expensive, but I like the way they pattern.

I need all the help I can get when it comes to shooting!!! Operator Error. I have missed a few too many point blank standing still, then shoot them out of the air..... guess I just like to give them a sporting chance.

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting