ACORNS

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
mark hay

ACORNS

Postby mark hay » October 16th, 2011, 5:03 pm

Until today it appeared to me that we had very few acorns . Only ones I had seen before today was while squirrel hunting and last weekends turkey hunt . The ones found then were few and far between . The squirrels had already devoured most of them too. I was a bit concerned to say the least . But , this morning , after two good windy days , revealed a lot more than I had anticipated . Red and White Oaks both .

But I still haven't seen nor heard a turkey on property I have been on . Hunted Jon's 85 this morning and found some scratching ,,,one spot . Looked like the bird was just walking through the woods and when it came upon this small bank on the side of the trail it scratched one little spot . I do not believe it was a gobbler .

How's the acorns in your area?

eggshell

Re: ACORNS

Postby eggshell » October 16th, 2011, 5:57 pm

Around our area there are plenty of red oak acorns, but few white oaks. I see a lot of wild grapes.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » October 16th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Haven't been out since the big winds on Friday and Saturday, but this fall acorns have been scarce in my neck of the woods. Have seen some wild grapes. Birds look to be feeding on green soybean pods -not many of these around now.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » October 16th, 2011, 11:28 pm

The acrons around here are very few and inbetween along with the hickory and pignuts. This year has been a bad for all trees even the fruit trees. Last year we had a massive crop in everything but for some reason, or for that very reason, this year has not been that good. The only trees that I have seen that actually had a good crop this year is walnuts and peacons.

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » October 17th, 2011, 1:22 pm

Seems like they all dropped this weekend here in TX :!:

Going scouting this weekend while hog hunting the same area.
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

onpoint

Postby onpoint » October 17th, 2011, 5:14 pm

Up at my place in TN (Crossville - area) loafin' around and went thru Catoosa takin' pics of the fall color and they were 'bout "ankle deep" there.
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » October 17th, 2011, 9:13 pm

Northern Pa has very few at least around our camp but here in the south eastern part of the state they seem to be plenteful.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Return to Fall Hunting