Maine season opened today

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
maineute

Maine season opened today

Postby maineute » October 15th, 2011, 6:36 pm

Fall shotgun season opened today and it sucked. The wind was blowing 20-25 miles all day but I still went out. Sat in my blind on the Honey hole field. Could not hear or see anything. A friend called to say he saw 2 long beards cross a road and go into an area we deer hunt. So I picked up and wen there. Walked around for a couple hours. Tried a few other places where I usually see birds. Nothing. I put a few miles on today and I am exhausted. Forcas for Monday is MUCH better. Try it all over then, I only have Monday and Tuesday to hunt.

eggshell

Re: Maine season opened today

Postby eggshell » October 16th, 2011, 6:09 pm

Good luck
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » October 17th, 2011, 10:13 am

Good luck Dude, same boat here in Ontario, tough fall so far, haven't seen a one. Hard work will get them though,
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

maineute

Postby maineute » October 18th, 2011, 4:15 pm

So Monday I met up wih a friend and we started out in the blind. No luck after a while we moved on to a piece of woods where I had seen a flock of birds during preseason scouting and they were there. My buddy came with a bow and arrow so I gave him my 12 guage and he snuck up on them while they were staring at me and he drilled a nice hen. He was able to split them up pretty well so we took up the chase. After about 10 minutes we started to hear some calling so we hustled in that direction and set up, he was behind me about 20 yards. I was up on a hill, he would call and they would call back. after about ten minutes of this I heard a errant cluck off to the right and that was it. It was really thick down there. After 5 minutes or so of nothing I blew off that lone cluck and went back to focussing on the main group of birds, waiting for them to come into sight when a hen poped out on the right at about 8 feet I knew she was there because she was squaking and flapping her wings, I was scarred out of my mind some reason I fired a shot, she flew off and we were done. I hunted the rest of the day with no luck.

maineute

Postby maineute » October 18th, 2011, 4:42 pm

This morning I went out by myself. I was sick of the blind and not seeing turkeys so I went to another wooded area where I see birds sometimes. I sat facing the direction where I was most likely to see them come from. I called off and on for about a half an hour when I heard a call back. For a while I thought it could be another hunter. I rotated a little to aid in a better shot. I would hear a cluck now and then, but no rustling of leaves or nothing when behind me I heard something to turn to look and see 4 birds, then 5, hen 7, .... then 18 birds. I sat a stil as possible when 3 of the jake came to my right at about 6 feet. I had no way to turn and shoot. The lead hen clucked a couple of times and they turned and moved away. I am still sitting there back against the tree, I decide to rotate my body, fire in the air and split them up, they went in three seperate directions. I walked back to the tote road and stood there waiting for for the first noise I could hear to set up and call them back. Standing there I see a large Coyote at about 35 yards, Not sure why it came to me but it started moving away so I shot it. Thinking that I was done I walked back to the main tote road I walked in on and sat down for about 15 minues when they start to call back and forth to each other on each side of the road. I figure they have to cross it to group back up so I stoped calling and sat there and waited after 20 minutes a bird pops out from the left, way too far for a shot. It saw me and ran off. I made another move to try to get to the other side of it. I was busted going down another tote road. That bird on the right was up in the top of a tall pine tree. I thought it was on the ground. I walked back to the truck and heard some rustling in the leaves. I others must be up ahead of my truck. I ran up on the ridge an another tote road. I got to the top and was looking down a ridge, admiring the view and trying to figure out where to set up and which way they might come from. Then I noticed a bird frozen at about 25 yards, I don't know how I did not see it, I pulled up and shot and it was over. It turned ou to be a 11 pound. I know I may not be a real trophy hunter but it was about 2.5 hours of the most fun I have had in a long time.
a tote road in Maine is a trail that had been used in the past to harvest timber, they are typically wide enough for a 4 wheeler and are typically the only shooting lanes you can find in the woods. They are legal to hunt on.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » October 18th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Congrats. on getting your bird that was about as wild of turkey hunt as I have ever heard of I really enjoyed the story. You sure wont forget that hunt.

Jon
Turkeybuster

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » October 19th, 2011, 8:00 am

Great job buddy, way to stay with it. I knew things would turn around for you. Are you done now, are you only allowed 1 bird in the fall in Maine like us here in Ontario? Still trying to see one, let alone harvest one. Must be time for Moose now for you guys?

TJ
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

maineute

Postby maineute » October 19th, 2011, 5:27 pm

Thanks guys, interesting story if I do say so myself. I almost did not post it because I did some stuff that others could construe as unethical but I am okay with it.
In Maine you get 2 in the spring(both male) and one in the fall (if you buy the right tags) So I am done, it has been a good three years.

Moose season is wierd, there are three seperate seasons(weeks), 2 have happened, one happens in Nov. I drew out for my first tag ever in a zone that borders Canada. I drew a Bull tag. They only give out 3500 tags a year and they get way more applicans then that, I know guys that have been putting in for 30 years who haven't been drawn.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 20th, 2011, 7:17 am

maineute,

Well done and congratulations. I am glad you posted the story. As far as my feelings go, the fall opens the bag of tricks and dumps it out. There are things we do in the fall that we never consider in the spring, and that is part of what makes it fun. If you insist on going, setting down and cold calling a bird to you, in the fall, then your most likely in for a long hard season. Not that it doesn't happen, just like spring, but birds will more often just ignore your calling and want you to come to them. Oh they'll answer and talk up the woods and all the time move on their merry way. The key is to get ahead in the general direction they are headed, then you can steer the to come take a look. If your lucky enough to find a lone lonesome bird or two then they will come right to you, but most don't. The idea of busting them is alter their routine and change their plans. Then you take advantage of the regrouping and reestablishing of routine. The other options are ambush and stalk, it's all part of the game to me. The key thing you said is you had the best 2.5 hours of fun, that is what it's about! You answered your own doubt, you hunted legal and had a great time....you hunted ethically. Now enjoy the best turkey you'll ever eat, those poults are yummy.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » October 20th, 2011, 10:42 am

Congrats on a fun hunt. That's a good eating bird!

Return to Fall Hunting