DING DING...Hey Mark Hay, hear that bell; IT"S TURKEY SEASON

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
eggshell

Re: DING DING...Hey Mark Hay, hear that bell; IT"S TURKEY SE

Postby eggshell » October 11th, 2011, 4:13 pm

Well, I bit on the temptation and walked the 40 minute walk up and down hills to the gobbler patch this morning and yep you guessed it, no Gobblers. By the time I'd left I had called in six birds on three set ups and they were all hens and younguns. I let em go, but it's about time to lay some heat down. I really struggle with letting legal birds I've called in walk away, LOL. It's pretty windy so I may rest up this evening. If i go it'll be a short hunt behind the house.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » October 12th, 2011, 3:39 pm

our fall season starts on Sat.maybe I can get to the woods after my little ones soccer games,I cannot wait until then.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 12th, 2011, 9:28 pm

A rather wet morning so I stayed in, but went on a scouting trip this afternoon and actually found some birds. I'm gonna try and get on them in the morning. I took my daughter out for her very first hunt this evening. It was kind of late so i tried to beat the birds to the swell they pass through going to roost. We arrived just as they did and got busted. I had a couple birds answer but nothing came in. At least she saw and heard birds.

I forgot to mention I had a very rare thing occur Monday, for Ohio anyway, I was calling and got up after no answer and heard the leaves rustle to my right. I turned just in time to see a Bobcat slinking off. The very first I ever saw in the wild in Ohio. I did see one inadvertently caught in a coyote snare a few years ago. They are endangered here, so no shooting. It was still cool to see, here. I been around them in Virginia and Kentucky, but this was new for Ohio.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » October 12th, 2011, 10:35 pm

GOOD LUCK to ya'll out in Ohio hope you can fill out some tags shortly. We still have to wait it out for another long two weeks here in Pa.

Jon :cry:
Turkeybuster

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 13th, 2011, 3:42 pm

Today was a big ole dud....zero turkeys heard or seen

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 14th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Went prospecting today and zero finds. Tomorrow I'll go check out a State area i heard birds Wednesday, but I'm out of my honey hole until next week. It's family camping weekend and trail ride on the farm, so no hunting allowed....bummer.

l.kay hay

Postby l.kay hay » October 16th, 2011, 4:10 am

Boy , Dana ,,,you let 'em walk ? Admirable ! It just builds confidence and allows you to go another day .

Wilson , I wish you the best on your hunts . I talked with Ken the other day ,,,,,he now has two turkeydogs and is really chomping at the bit . Knowing him , and the fact that your season opened yesterday , he probably has fresh turkey in the freezer today .

I haven't had a chance to get out since last Sunday . Working at the plant and spending the rest of my time at Momma's overhauling a small pole barn .
But , it looks like I'll get out for a while this morning . Haven't made up my mind just where to go yet .

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 16th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Sorry about the confusion on my last post . For one , the time is way off . It was more like 5 am when I made the post . I just failed to see that it was Linda that was logged in and not me . And she will no doubt let 'em ALL walk , Dana :D .

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 16th, 2011, 6:07 pm

No problem Mark, I figured it was you talking only logged in under Linda.

I have not heard or seen a turkey in four days. I been going to some different areas and prospecting and it hasn't turned out well. By tomorrow I'm back in the honey hole. I didn't hunt much today. I took my daughter out for an hour this morning right where the neighbor saw them yesterday and it was silence. I never went any more, as this was festival weekend in Bainbridge and the roads were gridlocked and plenty of company in town.

Here's a tip Mark. I heard several birds calling Wednesday down on Paint Creek Area, off Cope rd. If your interested in the location send me a PM. That's not too far from you. If season gets too dry, as far as turkey sightings, let me know and we'll see what we can find for you.

hey willowridge Scott, That call you sent me now has a new home. My daughter decided she wants to start turkey hunting. So I gave it to her as her first call. I hope your cool with that? She's 29 and just now getting interested in hunting with her Dad, my heart is thrilled.

onpoint

Postby onpoint » October 17th, 2011, 5:25 pm

Never done any fall huntin', listenin' to you guys has got my "blood boilin" and my trigger finger itchy. If I had brought my gear with me I might just have tried it on Catoosa that's right near my place. Good luck guys and keep the stories comin'.
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

PreviousNext

Return to Fall Hunting