Vic's First Turkey

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Steve_In

Re: Vic's First Turkey

Postby Steve_In » September 20th, 2011, 3:47 pm

Way to go Vic and Charlie!!! What a way to break in the pup.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » September 20th, 2011, 8:27 pm

Congratulations on taking a fine gobbler.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 20th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Thanks for all the kind words fellow turkey hunters. My head swelled to the point it was getting tough to keep my hat on, but the turkeys have a way humbling you back to earth. We found a couple more flocks that decided to all fly off the same way, not good, very hard to call back...
The gobblers here are starting to establish pecking order. The one I shot had an empty crop, by that time of morning he should have had something in it; meaning those 3 toms were having an argument with no time to eat. Which explains why he came in so fast.

@Mark, you'll be happy to know my snowshoes are ready to go should the need arise. Vic with his short hair is not too keen on the snow hunting idea though.

@Ron, no he did not bark, I tried the ideas we discussed no luck yet. Perhaps the more he flushes the more excited he'll become and start barking. Next time I will tie his leash, thought my weight would hold it. We are hunting in big woods and bluffs full of all kind of game, Vic still gets a little overwhelmed at times so I strive to keep it fun for him. We have a 3-1/2 month long season providing plenty of training opportunities.

@ Dewey, yep only 7 tags left in my pocket and thousands left to buy. So many tags so little time.

Good hunting to every one.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » September 20th, 2011, 10:45 pm

hey there charlie elk & vic way to go with that stud of a gobbler you got there dureing the fall season see after all that hen/jennie gobbler/jake talk vic likes them beards & spurs like the rest of us!!! lol just mess n with you but im am so happy that vic poped his cherry with a gobbler & a boss gobbler at that!!! wear did u bag that bad boy???
i know WI but what unit were u in??? what was the date??? i got skunked on my ruffed/sharptail grouse hunt 9/17-9/19 my uncle/cousin seen a couple jakes near our forest road way up in north woods MN the turkeys are following me up 2 the cabin i guess... i guess i should take u up on that WI turkey thing a??? 1 down 7 to go a???

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » September 21st, 2011, 9:59 am

Well done, Charlie...and Vic. Sounds like you both have a great future in the turkey woods! Get some more!

maineute

Postby maineute » September 21st, 2011, 1:16 pm

Congrats on the bird, just hearing the story gets the adrenaline pumping a little bit.

putt

Postby putt » September 21st, 2011, 8:11 pm

charlie elk wrote:aggressively clucked and purred ending with a boink (similar to the sound a steel barrel makes during temperature change, why it calls in toms I have no idea) a booming gobble answered closing in fast.

Great first hunt with Vic, Charlie. I didn't see anyone else ask you in the other replies, but I've gotta ... what the heck is a "boink" call, & what got you started with it?

Keep the Vic stories coming.

Tom

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 21st, 2011, 9:16 pm

Great first hunt with Vic, Charlie. I didn't see anyone else ask you in the other replies, but I've gotta ... what the heck is a "boink" call, & what got you started with it?

I was waiting for this question or someone to tell me why it works and what it means in turkey talk. It all started one time while I was setup against an old upside down metal stock tank working some stubborn fall toms that continued to fight very vocally but wouldn't acknowledge me. As the morning sun warmed the tank it made that sound they make on temp changes. Startled the heck out me and before I could settle back down all 6 toms were standing in front me, killed what looked like the biggest and made his wings into the largest base sounding wingbone call I currently own. That call makes a fairly good boink. At the time I was excited to get that tom, the why didn't dawn on me until much later on another day when I had a similar group of toms ignoring my calls; then remembered the water tank, boinked on that big wingbone and the toms were soon standing in front of me. Like anything in turkey hunting it does not work all the time but enough to keep me using it.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » September 26th, 2011, 2:55 am

Congrats Charlie, looks like you and Vic had a great day. As far as the boinking, how do you do it? I like playing with wingbones but Ive never had one to make a boink sound.

Uncle Nicky2

Postby Uncle Nicky2 » September 26th, 2011, 11:29 am

Well done!!! :D

PreviousNext

Return to Fall Hunting