Vic's First Turkey

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
charlie elk

Vic's First Turkey

Postby charlie elk » September 19th, 2011, 12:38 pm

vicGateTurk.jpg
vicGateTurk.jpg (66.92 KiB) Viewed 945 times
And its a 24 lb 3 oz, 1 3/8 spurs and 10" beard gobbler.
He sent 2 toms gliding off the ridge above and over me. I listened carefully, heard a cluck and big wing beats heading the other way. Climbed up on ridge to find Vic running around checking out all the scent trails. Setup against an inviting oak with Vic on my left, aggressively clucked and purred ending with a boink (similar to the sound a steel barrel makes during temperature change, why it calls in toms I have no idea) a booming gobble answered closing in fast. Vic went into his lying point, the tom went into strut at 20 yards. In spite of me whispering stay, hold Vic could not stand it and started for the tom. The tom dropped strut and hit full I'm out of here stride; the bead crossed the tip of his beak reducing him to a pile of quivering feathers. Whew, I would have hated to miss Vic's first turkey.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Vic's First Turkey

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 19th, 2011, 1:43 pm

Grats Charley, he'll get better at holding still as he encounters more birds and gets the hang of this turkey hunting thing. Looks like he's going to be a good turkey dog, one down many more to come.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » September 19th, 2011, 2:56 pm

way to go charlie and vic great looking turkey

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 19th, 2011, 4:41 pm

DA,GUMMIT!,,,Way to go Charlie! That's good stuff there feller . I bet your about as happy as a turkey hunter can get ,,,,proud of your work and training of that dog too.
My hat's off to you both . Of the bunch of Ya Hoos across this country hunting fall birds you may well be the first this fall to tag a bird ,,,,,,,,,,,,and based on your recent years ,,,,you may be the last too toward the end of your season ,,,,,,,,,,providing you ain't lost your snowshoes :D .

Congrats on a fine hunt and great gobbler.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » September 19th, 2011, 4:53 pm

Whoo Hooo cyber -high five to Vic......and you done ok too Charlie. Now I'm officially anxious for fall season. I can smell the feathers now. Go get him some more, nothing makes a dog like more hunting.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » September 19th, 2011, 7:01 pm

Congrats. to both of you thats a fine bird ya'll did a fine job especially for the first one.

Jon
Turkeybuster

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » September 20th, 2011, 8:23 am

there just isn't a better way to start the fall season, that's an awesome bird, give ole vic a pat on the head for me, he done good, hope ya'll have more success as the season progresses.....

every gun makes its own tune.....

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » September 20th, 2011, 9:24 am

Congrats....a tip for you next time use a leash and leash him to your leg , or a sapling, also its better to wait for Vic to return to you after the break ....Did he bark on the break ???...Ron
Break em at Night...Back at light

fallhunt

Postby fallhunt » September 20th, 2011, 12:10 pm

Congrats on the bird.Sounds like a great hunt.

dewey

Postby dewey » September 20th, 2011, 12:46 pm

AWESOME job Vic and good job not missing his first gobbler Charlie. What do you have left for tags Charlie, 7? Good luck on the next hunt and thanks for sharing.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Next

Return to Fall Hunting