2011 spring pics OH, NY

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
mookyj

2011 spring pics OH, NY

Postby mookyj » September 15th, 2011, 8:51 am

Ohio:

NY#1:

NY#2:
Last edited by mookyj on September 15th, 2011, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

dewey

Re: 2011 spring pics OH, NY

Postby dewey » September 15th, 2011, 10:06 am

Congratulations mookyj on those 3 fine gobblers! Do you have any stories of how you got them that you would like to share? How many more tags do you got in your pocket and where are they located?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

mookyj

Postby mookyj » September 15th, 2011, 12:10 pm

Ohio (1 tag filled)
Back again after a great 2010 spring turkey hunt in Ohio. During my trip there last year to Ohio River Valley Outfitters in Piketon, Ohio ( whom after a terrible hunt in 2013 will never do business with again), I had chased a boss gobbler the last day there. Having laid eyes on him has enough to come back again....

The trip this year started out much different due to family health issues which delayed the trip a few days, and foul weather. Rain, more rain, and severe thunderstorms. Several days I called in several hens, but no boyfriends in tow. Heard one lone gobble at a crow.

Today started out wet, but the showers ended just as I left to get to my spot. I found several birds gobbling late on the roost, way down below the ridge I was on. I closed to within 200 yards which was as far as I dared go. Made one series of calls, not another gobble to be heard. knowing that the boss had been spotted earlier in the week I was not happy about it, but not surprised at the abrupt silence.

I set up in a natural travel corridor/funnel between two hidden fields. I put out a decoy in the woods as they were wide open, and too easy for a gobbler to close to 60-80 yards and insist on seeing something. I seldom use a decoy these days, but there was little green up to be had. I had a small rise about 50 yards out, and I would have preferred forcing the gobbler to show up closer while taking a look.

45 minutes of very sporadic soft clucks, purrs and very light yelping, Lots of silence in the calling sequence this morning. I then spotted a gobbler coming my way. Short moments later, there was two, all of a sudden, three gobblers closing the distance. The lead bird was the largest, and semi strutted. The second one, had a rope for a beard. A light cluck-yelp lit the first gobbler right up. He immediately went into full strut, with his head turning brilliant white, every bit the same as turning on a light switch.

Mere seconds, the lead bird walked a few more a steps and stopped at 26 paces. Folding up his fan, he put his head straight up, The holosight was already trained on my florescent target, and that was all she wrote. although the gobbler was still wet from being rained on, he managed to roll back into a little creek just the same. The other two gobblers exited quickly at the shot, I will return to roost tonight to hopeful locate them, and or the boss gobbler.

The gobbler weighed 20lbs 11 oz, swung a 10.25 beard, and sported 1-1/8 & 1-1/16 spurs. A solid 3 year old gobbler
Last edited by mookyj on September 9th, 2013, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

mookyj

Postby mookyj » September 15th, 2011, 12:11 pm

NY (1st tag)

Filled a tag on Friday, May 6th. Short and sweet hunt with Paul Walling . We roosted these gobblers on state land just south of Cortland in the town of Virgil. Went in the next morning, and were able to set up 125-150 yards from them. I was on point, while Paul set up 50 yards behind to handle calling chores. We were both running mouth calls that Paul had made himself (PD Turkey Calls). There was a pair of gobblers that gobbled well, and a group of birds that were located way down along the bank. Once they came off the roost, I never made another call, Paul literally roped this gobbler in, and right in front of me. The second gobbler was coming but had not crossed up onto the flat we were on. The gobbler put his head up, within range, and the Remington 11-87 roared. The gobbler was a very solid two year old, weighing in at 18.75 lbs, 8.5” beard, 7/8” & 13/16” spurs. At 5:50AM, the hunt was a quick one. Paul and I team tag quite often, and it has filled many tags. We continued on, in hopes of me repaying the favor for Paul. We were unable to raise a gobbler in the several places we spent time in.

mookyj

Postby mookyj » September 15th, 2011, 12:12 pm

NY (2nd tag)

Hunted the front of our property this morning under the advisement of my wife Lee, who spotted a big gobbler in the field next to our property the evening before. I roosted there that night, but could not raise a bird anywhere. This morning I set up in our north end, next to that same field. Lee had to be to work early, and would not be able to join me for the morning hunt. Beautiful sunny morning, and very quiet. So quiet you could hear insects burping. Not a gobble to be heard anywhere.

At 5:30am a hen cut and cackle a little bit on the roost. 5:50am, I spot two hens fly down to the opposite end of the field a few hundred yards away. Dead silent for the next hour. Several times, I nearly decided to pack it in, and just head into work. I made only a few calls using a PD mooky screamer 3 mouth call and a slate. 6:30am a hen scolds me, and we have a short argument, four volleys of conversation to be exact. Five minutes later, two hens appear 80 yards out, looking for me. Shortly after, a fan tail appears over the horizon, followed quickly by three more hens, with a sixth hen loitering out in the middle of the field by herself. Moments later the group closed the gap, and the girlfriends got their boyfriend in to some trouble. 6:40am I had the gobbler down.

Gobbler weighed 20.5 lbs, swung a 9.5” beard, and sported 1” spurs.

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » September 17th, 2011, 4:06 pm

Congrats on a fine season and the pictures are framed great!
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » September 18th, 2011, 11:33 am

Great stuff! Thanks for the pics and reports.

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!