Any interest in still target shooting?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

Any interest in still target shooting?

Postby allaboutshooting » October 14th, 2008, 6:11 pm

I'm trying to see if there is any interest in still target shooting here at the T&TH forum. Attendance at these shoots has fallen so low that unless there's some renewed interest, I don't see the sport continuing. Maybe that's what is supposed to happen, if there's no interest.

So, if a still target shoot was held near you, would you consider giving it a try?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

trkyklr

RE: Any interest in still target shooting?

Postby trkyklr » October 15th, 2008, 10:08 am

isnt that what we would call a turkey shoot here in the south ?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 15th, 2008, 11:03 am

Hey Ken,

In this part of the world, Southern Illinois, we have turkey shoots, card shoots, board shoots, etc. Those are usually at ranges from 58' of less, shot from a rest, using #9 shot and 2.75" shells. The shooter tries to hit the center of the "+". Those are a lot of fun. I go to them and really enjoy both the shooting and social aspect.

Still target shoots are shot at 40 yards, no rest, with 3" shells, loaded with #6 shot and the winner is the one who gets the most pellets in a 3" circle, without touching any of the exterior lines of the circle (clean target).

The still target shoots were started by the NWTF 17 years ago to try to get choke makers, ammo makers and shotshell makers to make better products for turkey hunting and to promote patterning of guns by hunters.

Attendance at these shoots has just fallen off very dramatically and at the world championship shoot earlier this month, there were just a handful of shooters.

These shoots can be a lot of fun and it really lets you see how your gun patterns.

Thanks,
Clark

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » October 15th, 2008, 11:30 am

hey clark, sounds like that could be pretty cool,especialy with no rest & stuff i would have to say if there was one around here i would probably give it a whirl, im not the best shot in the world but i can hold my own. me & 2 of my buds used to do something similar to that every year before season just to practice but we always changed up our yardage.ive never heard of one around here though

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 21st, 2008, 4:58 am

Hey Ken,

I appreciate your reply. You've hit on what I believe to be the real future of these events.

Getting together with folks who want to see how their guns pattern, inviting folks who've never shot a turkey gun, new turkey hunters, families who have thought about shooting and/or hunting and letting everyone try out different guns and loads; all these factors could be the basis of a fun time and it could/would be educational as well.

We obviously also need to do a much better job of letting folks know if and when one of these shoots is in your area.

I really appreciate your reply.

Thanks,
Clark

GearJammer

Postby GearJammer » October 21st, 2008, 2:37 pm

Ya...I think Trkykller is right. In some parts of the country we call it a "turkey shoot". I am not sure about the waining popularity of these shoots but as an NSSA member, I have noticed a gradual decline in some of the other shooting sports such as skeet and trap. But as a polar opposite, sporting clays seem to be gaining popularity very rapidly. I realize that these sports do not relate to turkey hunting as they do with wing-shooting but it is still an interesting debate as to why this is happening to the shooting sports. Is it the price of shot shells? If you do your own reloads, is the price of shot and powder? Does the cost of gasoline to drive to a skeet/trap tournament have any bearing? Is it a social culture change that labels anyone that shoots or owns a gun a "nut"? I know at my club, they have raised the fees for a round of skeet/trap for members and non-members.
 What seems to be the most prevalent reasons? To me, we need to do a better job of educating our kids on not only firearm safety, but also the heritage that we have as Americans to not only have the right to own a gun, but in my opinion, it is our duty to own a gun. We need to stress the importance of proper game management and habitat improvement. I think overall, we need to take our kids outdoors and show them just how much fun it is to shoot a gun or bow.
 Good Question! [:)]  
"The doorway to freedom is framed in muskets" Charleton Heston

ncturkey

Postby ncturkey » October 23rd, 2008, 8:33 am

I have competed in my first ever NWFT Still Target Shoot this year. It was in Statesville, N.C. I had a blast. I meet guys from Indian Creek Shooting Systems and the designer of the Truglo chokes Roger Burrell and his son. It was a fun day of shooting with friends from the turkey talk forums. And there were a few locals aa the shoot too. One thing I can think of to improve these shoot attendance is to do what they did at this shoot. They had skeet and sporting clays shoots the same day. Which attracted a few shooters from the other shoots. Not many but a few. Plus I think they should bring back the hunter class in 12 gauge. Plus the shoot had a great BBQ meal half way through the shoot. I shot in the 12 gauge open class with a stock Remington 11-87 Turkey Shotgun. We shoot in 5 squads in the 12 gauge open class which I won one squad. That was very cool and fun. One thing is for sure you do not have to have a custom gun to compete. Here is a picture of my stock Remington 11-87. See ya, MikeImage

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 23rd, 2008, 11:54 am

I've spent a lot of time this past year at several different types of shooting events and have spent several hours in conversations with professionals in most if not all types of shooting sports. I've also spent a lot of time with manufactures of firearms and/or their representatives.

Most types of shooting events have seen lowered attendance and participation this year. The figure that has been most used is "down by 20%" overall.

Much of that was attributed to high fuel prices that had driven up not only the cost of travel but the cost of everything else. Another item blamed for the reduced participation was the increased cost of ammunition and components, for those who reload.

I spent a lot of time talking with vendors and all, without exception, reported reduced sales. The feeling was that even folks attending events were not spending like they did in years past. Again, the prolonged high fuel costs and increased cost of everything, took money out of the pockets of folks who in years past, might have used that money for purchases.

The decline in still target shooting has been pretty dramatic. About the only shoots that have had more than a handful of shooters in attendance have been those that combined sporting clays or some other event, like the one that Mike described. Even the world championship shoot had just a few shooters this year, the lowest number that I or anyone could remember. 

Doris and I also shot stock guns, even though the class is now open. We both finished in the final four, even shooting against custom guns, so it's certainly possible to compete without using expensive or exotic guns. We also came to the shoot with only 1 seat each, so it's not necessary to travel or spend a lot of money to make the finals.

The real question is one of interest. While other shooting sports may have had declines this year, there is still an obviously high level of interest. A very small niche sport, like still target shooting, can not long have 40% or 50% declines and endure.

I appreciate the responses and would sure welcome any additional suggestions or comments.

Thanks,
Clark

ljmelea

Postby ljmelea » November 27th, 2008, 8:32 am

happy thanksgiving to you and doris.We plan on having our 10th annual patterning clinic and stilltarget shoot here in Idaho in march.Rhett Simmons informed me that to be a regional shoot we will also have to hold an Idaho championship.No problem here!I plan to let all the chapter presidents know at our state board meeting in jan,that should get the word out.
I have heard some discussion that the shoot does not generate income for our chapter when we sponser it,so what?If we get people out patterning their guns,learning safety,and finding out about the NWTF than i consider the shoot has been successful.We always sign up new members and sell banquet tickets.Not to get off the subject,but not everthing we do for "the chapter" has to make money.thats why we have fundraisers.i think the shoot needs funding just like a jakes or womens event.larry lombard director stilltarget shoots Idaho NWTF.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » November 27th, 2008, 8:51 am

I have never been to one of these shoots, nor is it likely that I would go to one, at least not to participate actively.  I think too highly of my shoulder and my retinas to torture them anymore than is necessary to get a killing pattern at 35-40 yards with turkey loads, which is what I have and all I need.

I would tend to think that the punishment is the primary reason for any dropoff in attendance at those shoots.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Next

Return to Shooting