2011 MN Fall Turkey Applications due July29TH

turkey junky

Re: 2011 MN Fall Turkey Applications due July29TH

Postby turkey junky » September 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

opinions are like you know what everybody has 1!!! the MNDNR says its LEGAL so there for it is LEGAL to harvest hens/jennys dureing the fall... they MNDNR also said it was legal for yrs 2 shoot eaither 2 doe or a buck & doe in our unit 173 & many 100 units around the area everybody took tons of doe 4 a couple yrs then a bad winter hit 2-3 yrs & now there is no deer in our area & we are in a hunters choice unit 1 deer eaither sex... we dont even have 2 worry about hit n deer at nite with our cars any more!!!??? but the MNDNR said it was ok 2 harvest multi deer write up till it wasnt... they just want 2 sell tags not make 4 a quality hunt thats happening with spring turkey now the last 2 wks u can just buy a tag reguardless if u applyied or not??? nobody ever has a answer to the question if the hen you are going harvest in the fall is going to die anyway supposedly? then why not do our best to save a HENS/JENNYS life in the fall rather then kill a population of birds that 50% will die off dureing the winter??? i understand they may overpopulate & eat themselfs out of food in some areas... but wouldnt saveing the hens lead to more overall turkeys in a area??? in FLORIDA they can only harvest TOMs/JAKEs & there are turkeys running around all over & they say they havent had as many turkeys in yrs & yrs??? maybe its the harvesting of MALES only??? the only down side to that is there are tons of HENS in FLA & a gobbler dosent have to work hard at all to procreate... or find a girl friend... they dont have to really gobble up / search for a hen so they are tite mouthed once the hens are all on nests the gobblers may turn it up & gobble but not on my hunts...??? LOVED ED JACKSONS STORY IN THE NEW T&TH FALL MAG "FALL GOBBLER RE-RUNS" i guess im not alone... good luck to all you fall hunters hope its a nice tom u bag ill be out chase n ruffed grouse, sharptail grouse, spruce grouse, prairie chicken & pheasant maybe HUNS also dureing that beautiful month of october all in our great state of minnesota!!! may also be deer hunting up in park rapids do to all our deer being damn near gone around our cabin suronded by state forest land... we self imposed a BUCK only rule up on our 60 acres the deer pop is way way down up there wolf way way up!!! more hunters then ever up there its sad... unit 173 RIP

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » September 13th, 2011, 8:56 am

:roll: love the old 'there's no more deer in my area" argument...

dewey

Postby dewey » September 13th, 2011, 10:29 am

Gopherlongbeards wrote::roll: love the old 'there's no more deer in my area" argument...

Me too.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » September 13th, 2011, 11:43 am

"they are sit n in a deer stand & a turkey happens by & they shoot it thats not the same hunt as a SPRING HUNT"

Well that is not turkey hunting, that is turkey shooting, which anyone can do, calling the bird to the gun and killing it is what turkey hunting is all about, spring or fall, you boys have a great fall season.....
David

You never know, unless you go

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » September 13th, 2011, 1:00 pm

so true ylpnfol... ive also seen guys take turkeys dureing pheasant season while open & seasons overlap & home ranges... im sure its happen with ruffed grouse around my grouse haunts also basicly the guys have a fall turkey tag or i hope they do & a turkey gets up or is seen & the go kill it not like they set out 2 harvest a turkey that day...
not a turkey hunt like u said spring/fall... you have a good fall season as well...

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » September 13th, 2011, 1:38 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote::roll: love the old 'there's no more deer in my area" argument...

love that i can entertain you with storys of deer harvest drop n due 2 the its brown its down mentality & our state wanting 2 sell many tags rather then keeping a deer herd strong in certin areas... wear we hunt its not farming / southern MN coulee country with 100s of deer in a valley its big woods MN only thing around the area is log n... & tons of state land that gets over hunted each yr our family has 60 acres in the middle of the state land... i said the deer were all damn near gone not gone! in are area they learn by rifle season 2 hide in swamps due 2 the many grouse hunters & ATV riders edgucate n them... i mean they had 2 change our unit # & split it up 2 try & raise the kills per mile & it still units 171-173 4 the last 4-5 yrs them 2 units are the island of lesser harvests in the area every other unit around us harvests more deer... the butcher we take our deer 2 last yr was down 70-68 deer then average!!!??? the lowest in 3 yrs he said!? & there are tons of city folks who drop there deer 2 him 2 get processed!!!??? u can drive down major HWYs in the area at nite & never see a deer on side of road or cross in front of u??? only fox... everybody in are area noticed the change??? now the DNR has us in a hunters choice unit instead of being able 2 have each hunter tag 2 does or buck doe each like in yrs past... im happy... but im sure somebody will beleave im just crying about not being able 2 harvest a deer or something... lol got 2 love peoples sence of humor...

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 13th, 2011, 8:51 pm

Good luck to you Dewey.
WI has thousands of leftover tags is you get bored this fall come on over. The gobblers were a gobbling this morning something fierce so apparently they are establishing their pecking orders.
There are 8 tags burning a hole in my vest pocket and itching to get punched. Mrs. Elk loves fall time turkeys on the table especially the hens and jennies. Those jennies are all white meat and fork tender the absolute tastiest things I haul out of the woods. :lol:
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » September 14th, 2011, 8:56 pm

8 tags u will be a bizzy man!!! ill probably never taste a HEN wild turkey but if they are better then a corn/soy bean/acorn fead gobbler or jake then im miss n out...???
got to say RUFFED GROUSE are the tastiest thing i haul out the fall woods... i only wish they were bigger!!! also the only huns i ever ate were lovely!!!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 14th, 2011, 10:01 pm

As those tags fill there are thousands more available in WI see here http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/cs/fallturkey/
The wild turkey is our most prolific bird there more turkeys in WI than pheasants, grouse, woodcock, sharpies and huns combined. Scroll down to the WI section here there are several posts and pictures of fall and winter hunts. Our season opens on Sept 17 closes Dec 31 with a break in Nov for gun deer season.
Grouse, pheasant, huns, toms and jakes are good table fare to be sure. But after you taste a turkey poult you will realize yes indeed you have been missing out.
Save your turkeys in MN cross the river to WI and hunt turkeys to your heart's content. :)
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » September 15th, 2011, 8:52 pm

"But after you taste a turkey poult you will realize yes indeed you have been missing out."

now that's good stuff :P
David

You never know, unless you go

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota