SQUIRRELS & TURKEYS

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
mark hay

SQUIRRELS & TURKEYS

Postby mark hay » September 11th, 2011, 4:17 pm

I pulled into a parking lot this morning anticipating a long walk and a lot of squirrels to work on with the little Marlin . But much to my surprise after walking nearly a mile I hadn't seen nor heard one . As I approached a transition area from mixed cedars and hardwoods to all hardwoods I slowed down to less than a crawl and listened intently . After standing in one spot for several minutes and hearing only the thunder of a storm which seemed to be getting a mite close , and the occasional shot of someone dove hunting , I turned to move and out of the roost goes this turkey . It was about 35 yards from me and no doubt was keeping its good eye on me . It didn't fly too far for I could hear him land within 100 yards . After thinking about that bird for a bit I started once again to move and out goes another turkey . This one , for sure, was a big gobbler . A lot bigger than the first bird and very heavy wingbeats . It sounded more like a crash than a landing when the old boy came back to earth .
So the thunder just kept getting closer and then I could hear the heavy rain across the little valley . I lit out for the truck . When the two-track led me out of the woods there was a very distinct rainbow at the west end of that noisy cloud . I picked up the pace and was within 200 yards of the truck when a grey ran up the side of a small oak just off the path . BAD MISTAKE ON HIS PART .

It was a very short hunt ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but it was good to be out .

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: SQUIRRELS & TURKEYS

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 12th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Sounds like fun Mark, what time of the day was it when those flying turkey logs came down?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » September 13th, 2011, 1:52 pm

Great story , for a good day for sure !!! thanks Mark
Break em at Night...Back at light

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 13th, 2011, 10:25 pm

A walk in the woods is not same without a gun, you got a head start on us for small game.
Turkey season opens Saturday.
How is your dog coming along Mark?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » September 14th, 2011, 11:17 am

Last week I was walking a path into the squirrel woods when I noticed movement in high weeds on the path into the woods. I had bumped six turkey. Didn't get a great look-see, but appeared to be all hens. After that sight I didn't care if I saw a squirrel or not!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 14th, 2011, 3:38 pm

I'm with ya Duke . Everything takes back seat to the turkey .

Scott, the logs flew about 30 minutes after sun up. I hope to use that ''LOG TOSS'' this fall.

Charlie ,,,,,the hound has moved on . I know he was a good dog . Smart as any I've been around ,,,maybe smarter.
With the mess the twister left at my Momma's place , and the other things needing tended to , I could easily see I wouldn't be able to spend as much time as would be needed to get the dog in ''TURKEY MODE''.
On the other hand , I ain't so sure I'm cut out to train a dog for such hunting . Plus it suits me just fine to poke around the timbered ridges all day alone and looking and listening for the fall birds ,,,especially those slow croakin' gobblers .
I do however hold a strong admiration for you Gents with fine turkey dogs and a liberal amount of fall tags to fill . Really enjoy reading the stories .

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 14th, 2011, 10:08 pm

Sorry to hear your hound moved Mark. You do need to be ready and have time for a dog especially a turkey dog. I have learned there is a lot more that goes into training one than meets the eye at first glance. Truly a labor of love though. I spent years agonizing over the decision to get a dog I too thought I was very content to wander the woods alone and I was. Until my furry buddy joined me, life will never be the same now.
So keep an open mind when you are ready you will feel it. In the meantime I will post stories and pics of Vic and I adventures.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Fall Hunting