Pretty Boy ????

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Gobblernut

Pretty Boy ????

Postby Gobblernut » December 16th, 2008, 7:30 pm

Getiing ready to purchase one any one have any field tested testimonies..Good or Bad...Thanks
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

Gobblerman

RE: Pretty Boy ????

Postby Gobblerman » December 18th, 2008, 4:34 pm

Sorry, Gobblernut,...nain't never used one of 'em.  Since I do most all of my hunting on public land, I am a little skittish about setting one of them out.  If you can believe the hunting shows, they must be very effective in some circumstances.  I don't know if it would be worth getting shot over, though.
Jim

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 19th, 2008, 11:38 am

can't give any advice to your choice. like gobblerman, i too mostly hunt public land . i do think it would be neat to use one prior to season somewhere just to watch the show. but for me , i want to be the one who FOOLS OL' TOM. he won't have anything to look at but an ugly growth on a tree with twin pipes growing out of it. my best friend uses decoys and i'll go with him too, but we are on his property.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 19th, 2008, 12:05 pm

Hey Jimmy,

I don't really have any qualms about using decoys, as long as that can be done safely but I've just become a minimalist hunter in the last few years. The less I carry into the turkey woods the better.

If you buy "Pretty Boy", I'd be interested to know how it works for you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

NWTFKirby

Postby NWTFKirby » December 20th, 2008, 1:49 pm

I'm new to this forum but thought that I would chime in...  I bought one of the King Strut decoys last year and had great success with it.  My bird came on a run and I killed him at 21 yards as he got in the decoys face.  What a show...  I also have one of the B-Mobil decoys but prefer the King Strut because it is more pliable and easier to pack (although not as durable).  I looked at Pretty Boy but passed because it seemed like it would be a challenge to safely transport it in and out of the field.  Safety first...  I do hunt mostly private ground but leave my decoys at home whenever hunting on public property.  Momma wants me to come home alive and I would like to see as many sunrises as I can.  Hope this helps. 

Come on April!!!  It can't get here fast enough for me!
Team NWTF
Neal Kirby
Indiana

The Reverend

Postby The Reverend » January 15th, 2009, 7:47 pm

i am fortunate enough to hunt on private land.  i got a pretty boy right before last season and have nothing but good things to say.  i found it extremely effective in early season at daylight right when the birds come off roost.  2 hunts in a row i had boss toms charge the deke and get in it's face.  the birds wanted to fight it...but i talked them out of it.  lol

turkeybow

Postby turkeybow » January 16th, 2009, 11:30 am

I agree with NWTFKirby!  I have B-mobile and King Strut but haven't had the luxury of using King Strut yet!!  I have a buddy that has pretty boy and he turkey hunts a lot.  He says it is a pain getting pretty boy in and out of the woods.  It does not fold up as good or easily as B-mobile or King Strut.  I like King Strut the best because just look at it!  It looks the most realistic out of all of them!

joetex25

Postby joetex25 » January 16th, 2009, 4:19 pm

ORIGINAL: Gobblernut

Getiing ready to purchase one any one have any field tested testimonies..Good or Bad...Thanks

Well Gobblernut, I can't say that I have or use one on my own hunts (as I hunt Pa Public Land where there are more hunters than trees and safety doesn't let me go in that direction!!), but last Spring we hunted with an outfitter in Kansas who used the Pretty Boy along with a hen that appeared to be ready to breed. (laying down right in front of Pretty Boy). Maybe because of Pretty Boy, or maybe because they were Reo's in Kansas, we had great success. I didn't think to ask him why he was using Pretty Boy in place of still using something else, but I'm sure knowing him, if he didn't have complete faith in that combo he would be back to using something else. And...he wouldn't have warned us ahead of time not to shoot up his decoys!
Sorry I couldn't give more detailed info...other than two of us took 3 long beards off that decoy set up!! [;)]
GOOD LUCK, and GOOD HUNTING!!
Joe

by the way...our outfitter used a seperate canvas bag to transport his dekes in. (like one that I had bought at an Army/Navy store years ago to haul a deer decoy in). There are plenty of relatively inexpensive camo bags available today, so I don't think transporting should be a big deal. As mentioned by myself and others, SAFETY is the big deal! It really does depend on where you are hunting. Have fun!!

Sorry about the double edit...It's TGIF, so I'm having trouble spelling!! (even more than "normal"!!)  [;)]

Alberta Canada eh

Postby Alberta Canada eh » January 16th, 2009, 6:21 pm

I'm new to the forum, but I just received a Pretty Boy for Christmas from my parent in laws! I have over the last few years just used hen decoys but as with a lot of others, I was interested in using a PB! I can't wait to try it out this year. I only hunt on private land up here and where I hunt in Washington but I agree, safety is paramount. I will be carrying my decoys in the bright orange bag it came with!

Alberta Canada eh

Postby Alberta Canada eh » January 16th, 2009, 6:24 pm

Sorry! It's still so new, I had to go check. The new decoy is a B - Mobile. I also am going to use a real fan from a jake I harvested last year. I hope it works!!

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion