EARTHQQUUAAKKEE

Discussions not related to turkey hunting and clean humor
ylpnfol

EARTHQQUUAAKKEE

Postby ylpnfol » August 23rd, 2011, 2:07 pm

wow, mother nature showed herself today, she still is actually, it's still rumbling.....i'm 10 miles from the epicenter, and the house shook like a m&%f, still getting aftershocks, i hope it's over, and all i need to do is get ready for the HURRICANE this weekend.....lordy, lordy
David

You never know, unless you go

dewey

Re: EARTHQQUUAAKKEE

Postby dewey » August 23rd, 2011, 3:34 pm

Earthquakes and hurricanes! I saw the hurricane and earthquake news today and I hope everyone is OK and is getting ready for this weekends hurricane out East. I bet ist is hard to prepare for a hurricane when the freaking ground is shaking.

Good luck

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

grizzly

Postby grizzly » August 23rd, 2011, 3:42 pm

David hope all is well and every one is safe.. wayne

gooseberry

Postby gooseberry » August 23rd, 2011, 5:18 pm

I felt it in Central, PA, strange.

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » August 23rd, 2011, 6:27 pm

Hope everyone is ok. Shook items in the house. I live in Northampton county,Pa
Brian

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » August 23rd, 2011, 10:15 pm

I wasn't sure what was going on when everything was shaking this afternoon. It sure felt & sounded strange though. Glad we don't get earthquakes often.

I've been gathering up supplies for Hurricane Irene the past few days. Today, I got some more chain bar lube, gas, and oil for my chainsaw, a couple of flats of bottled water, fresh batteries for all my portable electric devices, a full box of candles, refilled a spare propane tank in case all my cooking has to be done on the grill. I've been freezing gallon milk jugs of water for a few days for use in coolers & to have cold drinks if we lose power. Since they started making noise that Irene might turn this way, I've started getting serious about being prepared.

When Hurricane Fran hit here, we were out of power for 9 days. I don't have a generator and all the venison burger I had in he chest freezer was going to spoil if it thawed. Instead, we got a bunch of burger buns, sides, & drinks and invited all of the linemen and power crews working in the area for a big cookout. Nothing went to waste and when the power crew came to work on our downed lines, they installed new ones, even though the old ones may have worked. It was a good break for them and a way to show how much we appreciated their efforts.

During Fran, we lost 9 of the biggest trees around the house. At the time, I felt like I was running a chainsaw in my sleep. We had a 90 foot poplar tree come down across the garage and it took a crane from the Army Corps of Engineers to remove it. Whatever Irene does, it's going to make a mess for somebody. Stay safe out there & hang on.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » August 24th, 2011, 8:51 am

all clear on the eastern front, for now, lost a couple of pic frames, now if my turkey mount had fallen off the wall, it would have been devastating, had a pretty strong aftershock at 1 am last nite, nothing since, looks like the hurricane is going to scoot along the coast, so we shouldn't get anything but some needed rain, but you folks close to the coast, hunker down and hold on tight, looks like a pretty big event, we did get the wrath of isabel a few years back, and if i never go thru that again it will be to soon.....
David

You never know, unless you go

dewey

Postby dewey » August 24th, 2011, 11:19 am

Cut N Run wrote:I wasn't sure what was going on when everything was shaking this afternoon. It sure felt & sounded strange though. Glad we don't get earthquakes often.

I've been gathering up supplies for Hurricane Irene the past few days. Today, I got some more chain bar lube, gas, and oil for my chainsaw, a couple of flats of bottled water, fresh batteries for all my portable electric devices, a full box of candles, refilled a spare propane tank in case all my cooking has to be done on the grill. I've been freezing gallon milk jugs of water for a few days for use in coolers & to have cold drinks if we lose power. Since they started making noise that Irene might turn this way, I've started getting serious about being prepared.

When Hurricane Fran hit here, we were out of power for 9 days. I don't have a generator and all the venison burger I had in he chest freezer was going to spoil if it thawed. Instead, we got a bunch of burger buns, sides, & drinks and invited all of the linemen and power crews working in the area for a big cookout. Nothing went to waste and when the power crew came to work on our downed lines, they installed new ones, even though the old ones may have worked. It was a good break for them and a way to show how much we appreciated their efforts.

During Fran, we lost 9 of the biggest trees around the house. At the time, I felt like I was running a chainsaw in my sleep. We had a 90 foot poplar tree come down across the garage and it took a crane from the Army Corps of Engineers to remove it. Whatever Irene does, it's going to make a mess for somebody. Stay safe out there & hang on.

Jim

I was going to ask if you were busy preparing but it looks like you are very busy. I will always think that it is better to be prepared and take care of yourself than wait for the storm to come through and wait for government help. Good luck this weekend Jim and any others in the hurrincaes path.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » August 24th, 2011, 4:33 pm

dewey wrote:I was going to ask if you were busy preparing but it looks like you are very busy. I will always think that it is better to be prepared and take care of yourself than wait for the storm to come through and wait for government help. Good luck this weekend Jim and any others in the hurrincaes path.

Dewey

Thanks, It never hurts to have good luck.

It's looking like Irene might be turning out towards the Atlantic. That makes lots of folks around here pretty happy. I'll take the rain and even a little wind, but don't want any of those hurricane force winds. I'm sure it won't be the last storm this season & I'm mostly prepared for the next one.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Off Topic