Best Fall Hunting Strategy

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Rocky Landsverk

Best Fall Hunting Strategy

Postby Rocky Landsverk » August 10th, 2011, 4:16 pm

my fall turkey hunting consists of carrying along my shotgun when i'm bowhunting. then i try to get between the birds and their apparent travel path, if the turkey hunting appears better than the deer hunting.

that's my strategy.

for those of you who hunt turkeys exclusively during a certain period in the fall, I'm curious what your No. 1 best strategy has been?
--

Online Product Manager
F+W Outdoors
www.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com

Gobblerman

Re: Best Fall Hunting Strategy

Postby Gobblerman » August 19th, 2011, 2:24 pm

It's been a while since I seriously hunted turkeys in the fall, Rocky. I'm more of a spring gobbler sort-of guy,....plus, here in NM, we just have way too many big game species to hunt in the fall,...and they tend to really get distracting. Our fall season has been extended significantly this year, so I suspect I may find time to give it a go again.

I'm also an "if you're gonna hunt turkeys, do it with a call" sort, as well,....so, if I do end up going out, it will be with the intention of breaking up a flock of birds and then trying to call them in. If I can't do that, well,...they can just stay in the woods until springtime!

Jim

grizzly

Postby grizzly » August 19th, 2011, 5:09 pm

i start out by watching the feilds to get an idea where the turkeys are then i'll scout the woods to see where the food and water sources are where they're scratching . then when the season starts i'll enter the woods and listen for yelps . i will walk carefuly towards the sound then when i feel i have got as close as i'm going to i'll find a good concelled spot and call i use clucks and kee kee calls if things work out the flock will hopefuly work their way to me i have used this method with good success over the years i hope that helps.. wayne

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 20th, 2011, 9:19 pm

Break up the flock, setup and call em back in using assembly yelps, lost yelps and kee-kees.
Gobblers are establishing their pecking order and I find aggressive purrs, clucks and yelps bring them in. Many times when I find a single Tom he will gobble, strut and issue a challenge which I answer aggressively. Usually brings him in.

This year I am trying some turkey dogging.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » August 21st, 2011, 6:28 am

I think it all depends on the situation you are in to decide which is the best fall strategy. If you can get a good bust on them where they go in every direction. I believe that is the best and "easiest" way to get them to come back to you. There has been times that the only way I can get close to them has been to circle around and get in front of them. Now another method that I have used that seems to very effective the more I play with it is to use multiple calls and try to sound like a small flock. The main time that I will use this method is if I see a flock in the middle or other end of the field and cant move any closer or if I know a flock is in the immediate area and cant find them. I will change the calls up from being content and social to worked up and excited or a group thats lost.
Is it turkey season yet?

fallhunt

Postby fallhunt » August 25th, 2011, 9:22 pm

I found the best way not to kill a turkey in the fall is to bust them up but I've never hunted with dogs.I do kill lots of birds in the fall with decoys and calling.They work into easy bow range.

Return to Strategies