hunting hours

mcvitullo

RE: hunting hours

Postby mcvitullo » May 13th, 2010, 3:47 am

For out of staters such as myself, I think its a good idea. Here in Ohio, I don't think too many people are taking advantange of the all day hunting. I limited out before I could hunt all day but, I'm not seeing too many vichles parked at hunting spots in the afternoon. As far as when PA's season opens, I think it is a perfect time because most of the time in Ohio, my hunting buddies and I don't even start killing birds until the last week in April - early part of May. The first few days in Ohio, there are so many hens not nesting yet and its really hard to catch them by themselfs.
    As far as nesting hens go, I read somewhere they are sitting on nests in the morning more than in the afternoon. And how often do you come across a turkey nest? I first thought it was a bad idea in Ohio but I think it turned out ok.
Fall turkey hunting is boring?! Have fun sitting in your deer stand....

MAK

Postby MAK » May 14th, 2010, 2:21 am

I like the all day because I'm a 'traveling hunter' - when I get a day to go, I'll be able to put the full day in.

Last 2 weeks of season hardly anyone is out, and birds have been educated. They won't be conditioned to legal hunters fooling with them for at least a couple years.  

Given the political climate, I don't see PA ever going to Sunday hunting. I'm blessed to have some private land to hunt, and those landowners are adament they'll post no hunting anytime if PA permits Sunday hunting.

I don't understand the change in fall season, but then again I don't understand alot of things ...............
MAK

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 14th, 2010, 9:52 am

If the proposed hunting hours change would have already been in effect I could have hed a bird yesterday. I got to go out for a couple hours yesterday morning after I got my boy on the school bus. I went to a spot that was good in the past for late mornings. Sure enough withen a couple of minutes after I got setup I had birds gobbling at me from 3 differant directions. WOO HOO! I thought. This is great! Well. The birds responded well, and were coming in to my setup. But at a snails pace. When the final minutes I had to lure these birds in had come and past it was time for me to pack up and head back to the car. As I was walking out I got up on a ridge top and heard one of the birds gobble again from behind me. There he was. All puffed out and heading right for my setup.

Oh well!, I thought. I'll come back for ya another day.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 17th, 2010, 3:25 pm

I dont like the fall season change much less the remark from PGC. that nobody hunts turkeys in the fall anymore. A lot more hunters will hunt turkeys than bear and I feel
that the turkey hunters are getting the short end of the stick.
The NWTF is not too happy about this since they have millions invested in the Pa. turkey management program.
PGC'S own turkey management people claimed this move throws a wrench in the three year study they were about to complete by doing this.
What are they thinking when they bite the hand that feeds them.
Turkeys are about all there is to hunt in Pa. with the exception of a thriving bear population since their deer program hoplessly failed along with their pheasant program and if not for the NWTF and its volunteers we wouldnt have many turkeys.
Whatever
Jon
Turkeybuster

vogga

Postby vogga » May 10th, 2011, 5:49 am

There are some people who may like to do other things one day a week out of six. How about being able to horseback ride without getting shot? Take a walk and risk getting shot? How about another perspective on seven day a week hunting guys?

We are not asking for much. If we do go to church we have maybe 6 hours a week for our type of recreations.

dewey

Postby dewey » May 10th, 2011, 6:24 am

As a hunter from MN where we can hunt all day 7 days a week I think you all would love all day hunting. I LOVE being able to hunt all day during my 5-7 day season especially since I have to travel a couple of hours to go hunting. I have had good success hunting the afternoons and the evenings as well. It just turns out to be a LONG grind of a day being up at 4:30 and going to be at 10:00 or so for a couple of days, not complaining just saying.

As for the Sunday non hunting I have a question for you guys. Is it just the religous reason behind no hunting on Sundays or is there another reason?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Jakesnhens

Postby Jakesnhens » June 25th, 2011, 10:32 am

I have hunted other states for years that allow all day hunting and it can be productive and is dfferent. I have had nearly as much success in the evening in Ky as in the AM and no competition on state lands. in past seasons I have called in birds in early June that coudn't be called in during the season. All they need is a week of rest or so. It appears the same will work with night hunting. I knew of some birds behind my house that were hunted most days by my neighbor. He gives up about 9:30. At 1:30 on the last Thursday I took a walk and called in two long beards to 15 yards. I was tagged out and my buddy didn't see them and moved so they survived. I know this because they are still gobbing and following hens. Inclding those with polts as of last night at 7 PM.

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » June 27th, 2011, 9:02 am

Not a fan of the use of dogs. Not a fan of the multiple gobbler tags.

I'm a fan of the extended hours.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » June 28th, 2011, 3:08 pm

A good friend of mine heard a bird gobble today 1:30 pm. almost 50 times.
Go figure.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Previous

Return to Pennsylvania