Of Turkey Dog and Baby Coons

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
charlie elk

Of Turkey Dog and Baby Coons

Postby charlie elk » June 23rd, 2011, 12:41 pm

Vic found these baby raccoons other than curiosity he had no other interest.  Seems to be a dog mostly interested in feathers particularly of the turkey variety.

We later practiced a setup so he could practice quietly holding still while I called.  After making a few raspy gobbler yelps a gobbler showed up coming within a few yards of us clucking his head off, all the while Vic kept laying with his head down, eyes dilated with excitement, the only thing he couldn't help was his tail vibrating as would a rattler's.  
My camera was in my pocket, with the gobbler so close there was no way I could get it out. (dumb move on my part[:@])

later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

AWTHDA

RE: Of Turkey Dog and Baby Coons

Postby AWTHDA » June 23rd, 2011, 4:19 pm

Wow, good dog! Vic sounds like he's fully trained already! He's doing very well if he will hold still, I wouldn't expect a dog to do that until you shot one or two for him to get the idea of how this all works. So, if he doesn't hold still when you're hunting don't be hard on him. If you can keep him quiet long enough to shoot a few he will certainly understand. He's off to a good start, that's for sure. Should be all down hill from here.
If those coons were cats would it of been a different story? Does Vic like to dig or chase anything in his spare time besides birds?

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » June 24th, 2011, 3:43 am

Charlie, Im glad to see ol' Vic is doing so great for you. Im also glad that momma coon didnt find him so close to her young. Looks like ya two are going to have a very nice fall season. Have you had him try to find a flock yet?
Is it turkey season yet?

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 24th, 2011, 4:49 pm

If those coons were cats would it of been a different story? Does Vic like to dig or chase anything in his spare time besides birds?

Most things with fur he just stares at, like he is studying them including the few cats he as come across.  He does like to dig and has shown interest in deer I think mainly because they are big and run away from him. 
Birds are what get him really pumped up especially turkeys. 
While he practices laying next to me he does squirm quite a bit.  However, when that gobbler came in he locked on it like he was pointing from his laying position.  I was not expecting a turkey to come; my plan was to only practice a setup with Vic for a short time.  When Vic suddenly became still I wondered why and looked where he was pointing and wished it had been turkey season.
Vic has just turned 6 months, I very pleased with his progress, however there is more work to do as with a teenager  some digression & regression takes place from time to time. [;)]
later,
charlie

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 24th, 2011, 5:15 pm

Have you had him try to find a flock yet?

The last week of March we were walking on an old logging trail and came up behind a strutter, got withing a few yards, Vic growled, the tom dropped strut, started putting, barking Vic scampered between my legs and then as the tom started running away Vic charged him causing him to fly along with an unseen flock.  Vic then ran around trailing where each of the turkeys had been.  A very good learning event for a 3 month old pup. 
Over the next couple of weeks Vic flushed some more flocks.  The first few I charged the flocks yelling turkey, turkey with Vic chasing after.  He got the idea and has since flushed turkeys in flocks and singles. He courses and scents them up. 
Mid April our spring season opened, of course I needed to get busy finding gobblers in earnest so he had to take up the life of a normal pup with Mrs Elk.
 After killing a gobbler I later took Vic back to the kill site so he could sniff around for any loose feathers.  He enjoyed that a lot.  Due to a very successful[:)] spring season Vic has lots of turkey parts to learn with. [:D]
I have been holding him back from chasing turkeys until the poults get big enough to fly.  We focus our training in areas where turkeys are usually not around this time of year.   Come mid July - look out turkeys here comes a turkey dog.
later,
charlie

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » June 25th, 2011, 2:50 am

ORIGINAL: charlie elk

The first few I charged the flocks yelling turkey, turkey with Vic chasing after.

By any chance, did you get that one video? [:D] Im sure that was one funny site.[:D][:D]
Is it turkey season yet?

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » June 25th, 2011, 2:34 pm

Man, Vic sounds like his on top of the game already. Congrats Charlie.
canecreekcalls.com

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 26th, 2011, 7:19 am

By any chance, did you get that one video? Im sure that was one funny site.

I get asked that a lot......
Maybe it is time for a charlie & Vic reality TV show?[:D]

Man, Vic sounds like his on top of the game already. Congrats Charlie.

Thanks thundrchikin.
later,
charlie

eggshell

Postby eggshell » June 28th, 2011, 9:42 am

I'd of only had one thing to say to that dog when he was that close to the coons.....sic-em boy! Did I ever say I hate coons! Nasty nest raiding varmints.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 29th, 2011, 9:11 am

Coon are protected critters in WI, they have a hunting and trapping season; killing them would have been poaching. 
later,
charlie

Next

Return to Fall Hunting