Spring Turkey Super License

charlie elk

Spring Turkey Super License

Postby charlie elk » June 19th, 2011, 5:40 am

What if WI were to create a spring turkey license that could be used statewide in any unit, valid during all seasons, allow 4 turkey spring limit and sell for $150? 
Would you support this and buy one? 
We could call it the Turkey Conservation Patron license.
The drawing would continue for those who like it and don't want to spend the extra money.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: Spring Turkey Super License

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 19th, 2011, 8:03 am

I'm going to answer that question with a question. Why would you want something like that? A license like that only favors the rich and not the hunters one bit. Myelf I foresee a state wide huntable licesens coming to the state as is, with thr registering of birds as to what zone it was shot in so the dnr can keep records of harvest. Just my 2 cents?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 19th, 2011, 10:11 am

Why would you want something like that?

For the freedom to hunt where, when and with whoever has a tag in whatever unit.
Preserves the current lottery draw for those traditionalists who like their hunting time scheduled by luck.

only favors the rich and not the hunters one bit.

Respectfully disagree - more money benefits the turkey management program which benefits all hunters including those who do not have the financial ability to purchase a license like this.

I spend close this  on tags now for the reason I posted here under [color="#000099"]Support WI Turkey Hunting[/color]
http://forum.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=44532

Perhaps the extra money a license like this brings in could be used to buy public hunting access on private lands.
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 19th, 2011, 3:14 pm

I understand what your trying to say Charlie, but the reason I ask, Why would you want something like that, is because that is what we have already with the way the system is set up now. If you spent $150 for a state wide 4 tag license, the only benefit of it would be you could hunt all over the state any day of the season, or you could take 4 birds all at one time when they are still bunched up together. A license cost you $28 for one tag, and $10 for an extra tag, which you can get in any zone except zone 7 (no extra tags). $28 + $30 (3 extra tags) = $58. so for the $150 you can get 13 tags, the only differance is you have to follow the rules, were the guy that can afford the Super License doesn't. There shouldn't be two sets of rules just because you can or can not afford the high priced license. That would be like saying, if you can afford a $150 deer license you can hunt from a tree stand, and if you can't then you have to hunt from the ground. Don't think that would go over very well?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 21st, 2011, 10:39 am

I just picked the $150 out of the air; figured if the amount was a bit high not that many hunters would buy it, only the most dedicated of turkey hunters would pop this much.  Thereby not increasing the hunting pressure which is usually the first criticism of any season change presented.
You are right in the sense the present scheme allows for a hunter to buy multiple permits in different units and time periods inexpensively.  To be frank this process is tedious and time consuming I would rather pay a larger license fee to avoid all the present hunter micro management. 
In studying the last decade of turkey license sales it is clear the present scheme is discouraging hunter participation just like the complicated trout fishing regs have discouraged trout fishermen from participating in WI fishing.
Anyway when I get a brainstorm I'll throw out for comments and debate; fun off season "campfire talk".   In the meantime like many other turkey hunters I will milk the current scheme in order to hunt as much as possible.  Saves big bucks over traveling out of state.
Curious - Wouldn't an increase in the number of WI turkey hunters be good for your call making business Scott?  Especially if those hunters are willing to pay $100 or more for a statewide license? 
later,
charlie

yankee gobbler

Postby yankee gobbler » June 23rd, 2011, 6:34 am

Would bring up a heck of a campfire chat. I feel Wisconsin needs to totally re-vamp the draw, choice system. I believe in 2 seasons, an early and a late. I would like to see a statewide zone as one zone. I am an avid, die-hard, dedicated turkey hunter and would like more opportunity in part of Wisconsin. We all have opinions and ideas and have fun chatting about them. Sometimes da beer flows real well during these campfire discussions.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 24th, 2011, 5:19 pm

I believe in 2 seasons, an early and a late. I would like to see a statewide zone as one zone.

How would you decide who gets to hunt early and late?  Still have draw? 
I just put another log and took a sip of beer....[;)]
later,
charlie

Return to Wisconsin