Mossberg SSi-ONE

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

Mossberg SSi-ONE

Postby allaboutshooting » June 16th, 2011, 3:34 am

I seem to forget about some guns. Then I'll remember one and decide that I should get it out and shoot it again. That's what's happened with my Mossberg SSi-ONE.

I was reminded of this gun recently because a fellow was looking for the ideal single shot shotgun to build the ultimate turkey gun.

If you're not familiar with that gun, you're probably in the majority. It was Mossberg's answer to the multi-purpose single shot gun platform. It was available with a variety of barrels, including a 3.5" chambered 12 gauge with a .775 inside diameter, like the 835 & 935. It's hammerless with a loaded chamber indicator and an integral base for mounting a scope or "dot" type sight. There are no sights on the 24" heavy walled barrel. Mine has some pretty good wood but it was also available in a camo finish.

I've been wanting to work with a Truglo "Tru-Point" open red dot sight on a shotgun and the SSI-ONE seemed to be absolutely perfect for this. This sight is very light, mounts low to the bore and would add only an ounce or so to the weight of the gun and would not effect its balance.

This sight is also one that we don't read much about. It's a high end sight from Truglo that has a lot very desirable features, adjusts to ambient light, extra long battery life, light weight, low mount, etc. but I suspect that its almost $400.00 MSRP has kept some folks from trying it.

I just had not shot my SSi in a while and after I'd installed the Tru-Point, really easy to bore sight, I headed to the range. I'd intended to shoot several rounds but because I'd waited until late in the day, the mosquitoes were terrible and I only touched-off one shell. My pattern was a little low but I still put 146 in 10" at 40yards, with a good bit of my pattern off the bottom of the paper. Not too bad, all things considered.

The biggest surprise to me was that the gun just did not have the recoil that I'd remembered. I did have a Shooter's Friend on the butt and I'm sure that made a big difference but I was really encouraged to take this gun back to the range.

If you happen to see one of these guns, I'd encourage you to take a look. If you like single shots, it's hard to beat.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

allaboutshooting

RE: Mossberg SSI-ONE

Postby allaboutshooting » June 19th, 2011, 5:21 pm

I've really gotten interested in the SSi-ONE again and yesterday, I decided to see how it would feel with a little different sighting arrangement. I installed a Truglo Maxus 3.5-10 X 50 X-Tra BDC Long Eye Relief scope. Again, I bore sighted it and made most of the adjustments in the rings to get it pretty much on target.

When I took it to the range with some 3" Hevi-13 shotshells and shot at some big paper, it was right on as far as windage but really low, maybe 10" at 40 yards. I did not want to try and take that much up with the scope adjustments, so I removed it and shimmed the rear ring. That put me right where I needed to be and I can make any fine adjustments that I might need.

I liked the effect of the added weight of the scope as well. It's even more pleasant to shoot now than with the "dot" sight I had on it previously.

If the weather allows, I'll take it to the range some more this coming week and see what kinds of patterns I can get with it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Shooting