Conclusion: Case of the Departing Drummer

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » June 15th, 2011, 11:39 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

I had to at least test the waters, so I whispered to the young hunter that the gobbler was drumming right behind us. Based on his expression, my friend didn't know what drumming was or thought I was pulling his leg -- or both.

That sealed it. I waited patiently for another 90 seconds, and then the drumming slowly faded as the previously red-hot gobbler walked up a steep hill and out of our lives. I tried to impart to my charge how close we'd come, but I'm not sure he believed me.

And do you know what? It didn't matter anyway. The next morning, we struck a lonely gobbler, and I yelped him 200 yards along a logging road to within 20 yards of the gun. My young pal smoked that turkey, and a hunter was born.

"I heard that sound again with this bird," he said, describing the drumming of the approaching gobbler. "Now I know what that was yesterday."

Yep. Only yesterday no longer mattered.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get the jump on pressured bucks this fall.

Bobbyparks

RE: Conclusion: Case of the Departing Drummer

Postby Bobbyparks » June 17th, 2011, 12:33 am

Yep. A good today can heal a bad yesterday
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

TeocTom

RE: Conclusion: Case of the Departing Drummer

Postby TeocTom » July 18th, 2011, 7:32 am

Amen Mr. Parks!

I love these stories........
Eric