Turkeys Off M-Tues No More

charlie elk

Turkeys Off M-Tues No More

Postby charlie elk » June 14th, 2011, 3:32 pm

[:D] Our seasons go from 5 to 7 day periods next spring.[:)]
No more turkey days off.  I can hardly wait to see the look on that gobblers face as the hammer comes down on a beautiful spring Monday morning 2012. [:)][;)][:D][:)]
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: Turkeys Off M-Tues No More

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 15th, 2011, 5:49 pm

I wish they would of left it the way it was, Weekends are going to be pure Hill on the public land, if they have an opening day on Sat. [:@] If they open it on Weds, and run the seasons through Tues. at least the weekends won't be over run with twice as many hunters?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 16th, 2011, 10:53 am

The seasons open on Wednesday as they have and will close on Tuesday.  I fail to see how this will change hunting pressure on public lands. [8|] Except there will be some hunting there on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Bear in mind the total number of turkey hunters has been decreasing here in WI for the last 3 years.  Permit sales have remained constant due to each remaining hunter buying more OTC permits.

Sorry--charlie likes to hunt [:)] and 7 days of turkey hunting beats 5 days of turkey hunting[;)] 
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 16th, 2011, 2:12 pm

Charlie, as long as they open it up during the week and not on a weekend day it will work just fine. If they would open it on Sat that would not be good because then there would be twice the hunters on the weekends trying to get onto the few good public spots.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » June 16th, 2011, 9:18 pm

I think this is an excellent idea that was long overdue. Speaking for myself, I won't have to juggle my work schedule around as much and it will give me more days afield. I'm glad they are keeping the week format intact wich spreads out the pressure. At least we don't have to contend with an opener similar to deer hunting season. It just didn't make sense from a biological stand to give the birds a rest for 2 days. Now I'm even more excited about next spring.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 17th, 2011, 3:51 am

I picked up the new regs today, and the 2012 spring turkey regs, show no changes in the seasons, still only a 5 day seasons. I checked the dnr website and there is no word of a 7 day season on there either? I had heard that it passed, but nothing has showed up or is being said about it yet? So I guess we wait and see.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 17th, 2011, 11:24 am

It will be 7 day seasons after the legistlature approves all the CC recommended changes. According to WDNR the regs will be amended.
later,
charlie

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 31st, 2011, 9:15 am

that particular question met with approval during the 2011 Conservation Congress Spring Hearings.  The proposal is being reviewed by the legislature this summer, and I won't know anything definite until closer to the end of August.  There hasn't been any controversy in the legislature and things are going smoothly; it's just a matter of timing out the legal rule making process that we all have to follow.  The DNR will be sending out a press release once we know the final decision

[color="#000000"]This is the response I received back from WDNR regarding 7 day spring turkey hunting for 2012.  I got so excited about being able to hunt a full week that I forgot the legislature has to weigh in.  Fortunately there is no controversy regarding this issue.
Hopefully act 21 is going to streamline rule making and put the wildlife managers back in charge instead of all these committees.  [/color]
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 31st, 2011, 9:34 am

I agree. [;)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Re: Turkeys Off M-Tues No More

Postby charlie elk » September 13th, 2011, 10:52 pm

Its official now we get 7 day seasons starting in the spring of 2012. :D
later,
charlie

Return to Wisconsin