Zone 6?

peeksville

Zone 6?

Postby peeksville » February 10th, 2009, 10:49 am

This is my first year turkey hunting.  I was lucky enough to get a permit for zone 1 for the 2nd week.  Has anyone hunted zone 6?  Any good public places?  I see there are some permits available for the last week and am debating whether or not to try it.  I ask because I live right off of hwy 13 to the west.  I have seen some hens by my house but never a jake or tom yet.  Just wondering if anyone knows any good places.  Thanks

turkeytracks

RE: Zone 6?

Postby turkeytracks » February 11th, 2009, 8:45 am

I don't know any good places but I can help you to know that the earlier the week the better the hunting.  I got zone 2 for week 1.
Alex

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » February 20th, 2009, 12:57 pm

Never hunted turkeys up there...but I do know if you don't try it, you can't get one.... I do know that some friends of mine that hunt up north like to drive and gun... drive the backroads in the natl forest and let out calls...they have been pretty successful that way.Good luck this season its always good to hear of new hunters getting into the sport.

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 20th, 2009, 8:20 pm

I've never hunted that far north for turkeys but I will tell you I found plenty of sign on and around the hunter walking trails near park falls and phillips this past fall while grouse hunting. Was suprised the dog didn't get into a flock. I'll have to look at a map and see what side of 13 we were on to know if it was zone 6 or not but either way they should be there. Key to finding turkeys up there would be the hunter walking trails with clover, clear cuts and oaks. Pm me and I'll tell you what road near park falls we saw the most sign. Might give some hints for public areas in zone 1 too.
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

Return to Wisconsin