Snapping Turtle Traps!!!

Discussions not related to turkey hunting and clean humor
SpitnDrum

RE: Snapping Turtle Traps!!!

Postby SpitnDrum » June 10th, 2011, 8:34 am

Was a 3rd shifter for 12 years.I have just recentlty moved to days 5:00 am to 1:00 pm.It's hard to break old habits I guess.I'm the SPVR over the mixing department at a cookie bakery.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » June 10th, 2011, 9:38 am

COOKIES !!!!!!!, now THAT is something i can sink my teeth into.....
David

You never know, unless you go

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » June 10th, 2011, 5:31 pm

David I guess your other aka is the infamous cookie monster? [8|][:D][:D]

Shane, what type of cookies do you make?

Where I work there is a Country Oven factory about 400 yds away and when the wind is blowing in the right direction you can smell those cookies and cakes. HMMMMMM!!! Im getting hungry.[:D]
Is it turkey season yet?

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » June 10th, 2011, 7:03 pm

Pretty much any name brand cookie you can think of.Mini Oreo,Chips Ahoy,Fudge Stripes,Lots of granola based protein bars like nature valley.Companys like Nabisco,Conagra Foods,.We are mainly a kraft based company.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » June 10th, 2011, 9:43 pm

WHAT ??  no snappin turtle truffle delights ?? we could sell a million of 'em.....well, i'm headed to the beach, summer vacation reduced to 3 days this year, oh well, gotta save some time for them fall critters, and it sure beats workin', shane , let me be the first to congratulate you and your team on the contest win, it was fun..... you boys be good and keep your fingers out of the cookie dough.....
David

You never know, unless you go

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 11th, 2011, 10:06 am

This thread reminds me of the summer of '76 . Three other fellers and myself spent all night catchin' bullfrogs . We also took in a couple nice snappers .
 At sun up we commenced the cleaning . We then set out to kill a whistlepig or two ,,,,young'n of course .
 On the way back to dress the little pigs we stop by a farmer that had just cut some pigs .

Long story short ,,,That evening we rounded up some of the locals and commenced to eatin' . One fellers momma volunteered to do the cookin' and let me tell ya , the woman lacked no skill . Her biscuits were worth fight for ,,,,,I'm talkin' gun fight mind you.

We devoured mountain oysters , tender young ground hog , frog legs and snappin' turtle with a big ol' basket full of Mrs. Johnson's biscuits . I shall never forget some of those big strappin' fellers with their sixpack abbs and rippled muscles as they shied away from the oysters .

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » June 11th, 2011, 10:47 am

Thank ya David have fun and be safe at the beach.Don't let a shark nab ya while your trying to surf!

Mark that sounds like just the feast for me.Those fellas with those six pack abs didn't know what they where missing out on.One more thing though,,,you havn't duplicated that frikacee since 76'?

Heres a story for ya.Good freind of the family,accually he was based in Nam with my Dad and they just kinda hung together threw the years,anyway we went out on a six day excursion in the timber back in O probably 92 or 93.Ron my Dads friend didn't pack much grubb to the woods and this was my first trip with em bare knuckle like that.You know the little chirper frogs you hear in the mud holes early spring,well I listened to them for the first few nights and got to noteicing the sound wasn't as strong after a few nights and by day three they where gone.Ron was eating them.First and last time I ever seen a copperhead fried too.Aint much Ron won't eat.Seen him pull wings off butterflys and throw em down the hatch.Says they taste sweet.Now this was a few moments when I have said(I take your word for it).

Honestly that stuffs probably pretty good.Just wrapping your mind around the fact your eating a butterfly.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 11th, 2011, 12:27 pm

Shane , the closest to that feast was in '79. Been married to my starter wife a year at this point in time to a girl that dispised anything to do hunting , wild meat and the like . DON'T ASK .
 Anyway , I parted the hair between the ears of a standing pup whistler while he attempted to chew up a mouthful of young beans . I'll never forget how he looked lying there belly down with his hair parted and those bean plants sticking out of his enscisors. I raced home and dressed the little feller ,,,soaked him in salt water a while and rolled him in flour . Had him almost fried up when I put the biscuits in the oven . The city girl wouldn't even look at it [:D]. So , I did the only responsible thing and ate the whole vermin and all the biscuits .
 Better'n wild rabbit ,,,but I won't refuse it either [:D].

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » June 11th, 2011, 1:33 pm

. So , I did the only responsible thing and ate the whole vermin and all the biscuits .

I would have done the same thing and enjoyed every last scrap of the half grown whistle pig.They are some good eaten but I have to disagree just a bit and say the rabbitt is one of my more favorable breakfasts in Early Nov. throwed together with some gravy on those bisquits.I have 5 good hounds here that put the cotton tails to moving too.This will be two of my hounds second season coming up,but they done well last year.Put 63 rabbitts in my freezer alone last winter.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 11th, 2011, 3:18 pm

I can appreciate your fondness for rabbit as well as the fine rabbit hounds . When I started hunting there were more pheasants and quail than rabbits . Dad rarely ever shot a rabbit after I became old enough to hunt with him. He had killed a limit one time and he said it turned his stomach having to clean that many rabbits . But after I was old enough to hunt on my own I managed to kill a few now and then .

As for the hounds ,,,I've only hunted with one Beagle in my life . It belonged to a city feller that came up to the farm next door for an afternoon hunt . I was invited along and had heard how the GOOD beagles would work a rabbit and was anxious to see this dog in action since the only dogs I was ever around back then was bird dogs . Well , we didn't find one rabbit all afternoon . But , I had seen some fine bird dogs in action many times and that short legged beagle lacked nothing when it came to winding , pointing and retrieving quail . It was an amazing thing to see.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic