Introducing the Newest Online Pro Staffer

The latest news from the field!
Ben Sobieck

Introducing the Newest Online Pro Staffer

Postby Ben Sobieck » June 8th, 2011, 10:46 am

John Lockwood, Ontario, Canada
TurkeyJohn

I have been chasing our communal quarry since 1999 when both my wife Colleen and I took the required Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters turkey hunting course that you have to attend and pass to get your turkey license.

Very humbling the first few years to see birds, but never able to close the deal to say the least. Was finally able to bag my first bird in May of 2006 and most years since, have been able to tag at least one bird here in our 2 bird limit Ontario spring season.

I have a 6 year old son that I'm trying to instill Dad's obsession, but seems the only way to get him into the turkey blind now is to let him bring his Nintendo DS, which at times, is not
a bad idea for a busy 6 year old with not much going on. My only hope is that he learns to enjoy all the outdoors and if turkey hunting does that so much the better. We live in Kingston, Ontario where I operate my insurance agency and have for the last 9 years. When our spring season rolls around, my team knows that when I'm in, I may not be as sharp and bushy tailed as the rest of the year.

They are patient with me and my obsession. They have asked that I not practice my calling in the office though, but it doesn't stop me from displaying some hard earned tail mounts. I would, at some point, like to hunt turkey in other states and perhaps try hunting the other species.

But, for now, I try my wife's patience as it is, so that may have to wait until my son can help put the pressure on Mom.

I look forward to continuing to learn what I can from all our members and try to pass on the little bit of experience that I've gleaned in my brief history of chasing the greatest sport bird in North America, the wild turkey.

Duke0002

RE: Introducing the Newest Online Pro Staffer

Postby Duke0002 » June 8th, 2011, 1:54 pm

Congrats, TJ!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » June 8th, 2011, 3:08 pm

Welcome, TurkeyJohn. And Ontario perspective will be interesting.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » June 8th, 2011, 3:41 pm

atta boy.....congrats john
David

You never know, unless you go

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » June 8th, 2011, 4:16 pm

Congrats. John good to have you on board as a Pro Staffer we will expect to get some reports from the north woods from you Ah.

Jon
Turkeybuster

grizzly

Postby grizzly » June 8th, 2011, 10:32 pm

welcome to the fold John. i'm looking foward to what you can add to this great forum[:D]wayne

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » June 9th, 2011, 3:16 am

Thanks for the welcome all.  I'll try to give as much info as possible from us up here in Ontario and encourage any and all Ontario members to reach out.  We're relatively new to the game (1987 introduction) but like all turkey hunters eager and willing to share stories and tactics.
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 9th, 2011, 4:01 am

Welcome John. I look forward to hearing more from you and hearing about your adventures.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

dewey

Postby dewey » June 9th, 2011, 4:30 am

Congratulations TurkeyJohn and I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 9th, 2011, 6:21 am

Glad to have you on the team John, looking forward to hearing how the northern birds are doing. [;)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Next

Return to News from Turkey & Turkey Hunting