.22 LR shotshells?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
kygobbler

.22 LR shotshells?

Postby kygobbler » May 24th, 2011, 8:07 am

I was playing online and trying to find some deals on 22 ammo when I came upon 22LR shotshells. Have any of ya used this or heard anything about them. This is the first I have ever seen of them and started wondering what type of range and pattern would they have and what could you use them on. If anybody has any info, good or bad, Im all ears. If no one knows anything I might buy a box and try them out.
Is it turkey season yet?

SpitnDrum

RE: .22 LR shotshells?

Postby SpitnDrum » May 24th, 2011, 8:41 am

I've used em a bunch.I call em rat shot and thats exactly what I used them for.Tried snakes and they just don't have the killing power.Perfect for rats or blackbirds and such up to about 20 yrds,and I couldn't get much patterning out of em past that.NOTE-They will not eject from a semi auto.You have to manually eject em.

Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

natman

Postby natman » May 24th, 2011, 9:14 am

22 shot shells use #12 shot, which is called "dust shot" for a reason. It doesn't have a lot of penetration and should be limited to small birds and rats. If you shoot it from a rifled barrel, the rifling causes the shot to spin and quickly disperse, so ranges have to be kept very short, like 5-10 feet. I have a 22 smoothbore "rifle" and it increases the range a great deal. 

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » June 7th, 2011, 3:07 pm

always called them rat shot. good for shooting rats in the barn at close range. Them rats are fast though.

retranger

Postby retranger » June 7th, 2011, 3:28 pm

the shell pictured has a plastic front which when shot will pick up the rifling an spin the pellets all over. I had found some that the front of the casing was crimped to a point and they worked much better.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » June 8th, 2011, 3:40 am

Hey rctaylor, I always use a pellet riffle for rat killing. If you put out some peanut butter or cat food. Those rats will stay long enough for you to get a good shot on them.[:D]
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 16th, 2011, 1:16 pm

We use to shoot trap with them, we had the small 3" clays and an old Stevens smoothbore single shot 22, It was a blast trying to hit flying clays but it was good practice. The have a short range and the clays would fly farther than the shot would.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » June 16th, 2011, 3:00 pm

Scott now that does sound like a challenge to try out.
Is it turkey season yet?

Return to Shooting