The Training of a Turkey Dog

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
charlie elk

The Training of a Turkey Dog

Postby charlie elk » June 3rd, 2011, 9:34 am

My new turkey dog Vic has been on a steady drumbeat of training for the upcoming fall season in WI.
There are some lessons he needed to learn early on such as-
There are no underground turkeys

and no turkey hides inside hollow logs.

But there are turkeys to be found by listening to and hanging around your master in the fields and woods.

Prior to the spring season Vic was introduced to some strutting gobblers the first one startled him into a barking retreat between my legs but as soon as the gobbler alarmed putted and flew Vic charged back barking all the way until a couple dozen unseen turkeys took to flight.  He then stopped and stared.
The next flock of turkeys I pointed out to him and ran with Vic in hot pursuit flushing the turkeys while barking at em.  Vic then got the idea of what we were doing, the next day he sniffed out some hidden gobblers, stalked then charged to flush and barked at them.  It was a fine break that I hope happens frequently this fall.
Vic will be turning 6 months mid June with a lot more training required of course.  Learning to sit quietly at my side and not bark at my turkey calls.  Get use to gunfire up close and personal (been introducing loud noises suddenly)
Anyone else training up a turkey dog? 
Let's start talking fall turkey--it is never too early to start obsessing about the next season.

later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

roycefromrc

RE: The Training of a Turkey Dog

Postby roycefromrc » June 3rd, 2011, 12:25 pm

Charlie ,I gotta tell ya, I ve never heard of or even thought of having a turkey dog.Im intreagued though and am thinking of turning one of my cow dogs into one. Might even use one for fall hunting.This was my first year hunting turkey in any season.Looks like you have two nioce toms in your pic. I clubbes a 19.4 lb jake late season. i t was awesome. Now back to the dogs.I dont know how much pheasant hunting you do in wisconsin. But here in south dakota it sounds like your trying the same tactics for turkey hunting.The whole key to pheasant hunting is never let your dog get out of range.Once theyll come back every time you call,it will all come together for a good dog Of coarse there a lot more to it than that,but its the base.Fill me in more on your tactics.
Royce
caution: I make bad decisions.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 3rd, 2011, 3:53 pm

Fill me in more on your tactics.

Royce,
A turkey dog finds and scatters a flock hopefully all in different directions.  Hunter moves to the point of flush sets up with his dog to call the turkeys back.  After being scattered turkeys have powerful urge to re-assemble including fall gobblers.
It is never recommended to shoot at turkeys as they are flying away as one would shoot a pheasant.
Due to turkey's ability to run a turkey dog must range out further than would a pheasant or grouse dog. 
A good website with lots of  info http://turkeydog.org/
later,
charlie

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » June 3rd, 2011, 9:50 pm

Hey Charlie, ol' Vic is starting to look like a real turkey dog. Don't let him fool you though, he might know more about turkeys than we do. Haven't you ever noticed that sometimes turkeys seem to disapear when season starts. They might be hiding underground and in tree stumps.[:D][:D] Either way I hope he does good for you this fall.

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » June 4th, 2011, 1:13 pm

Looks and sounds if Vic is well on his way!!! Keep up the good work and no doubt he'll be ready this fall. Todd
canecreekcalls.com

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » June 10th, 2011, 9:05 am

Good luck ....if i can help please call  me ....Vic looks cool what breed is he Vizsla ?...heard of a few that are uswd for turkey huntn
Break em at Night...Back at light

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 10th, 2011, 9:15 am

Don't let him fool you though, he might know more about turkeys than we do. Haven't you ever noticed that sometimes turkeys seem to disapear when season starts. They might be hiding underground and in tree stumps.

You just might have a point here guess I shouldn't have rushed to conclusions.[:-][:D]
later,
charlie

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 10th, 2011, 9:22 am

Vic looks cool what breed is he Vizsla ?.

Thanks- you are correct he is a Vizsla.
I lost your phone and email.  My email is elk@charlieelk.com
Looks like Mrs Elk has beat her cancer so I will have more time this fall - if you still desire a WI hunt let me know.
later,
charlie

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » July 13th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Hey Charlie found a pic of Vic and his Brothers[:D]...  http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm28 ... /visla.jpg

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » July 13th, 2011, 3:08 pm

turkey dogs Bubba

Next

Return to Fall Hunting