Spring 2011 - Updates on hunting conditions throughout the state

Turkeybuster

RE: Spring 2011 - Updates on hunting conditions throughout the state

Postby Turkeybuster » May 24th, 2011, 1:53 pm

I killed a good bird Mon. he gobbled on the roost after first light and I got in on him within 100 yds.
I tree yelped to him twice with no response when he hit the ground he gobbled and was on his way I clucked twice followed by three low yelps and he was there.
I have hunted this bird for three years off and on and finally won the battle I sort of missed hearing him on the ridge thismorning although I did sleep better last night.
He was 20.2 lbs. had two beards 6 1/2" and 10" 1" very pointy and even spurs.
When I picked him up to carry him out one of his legs broke I assune from old age since there was no sign of a stray pellet in that area.

Jon
Turkeybuster

roughrider123

Postby roughrider123 » May 28th, 2011, 8:16 am

Nicely done on that bird. Glad to see someone is still out there.

roughrider out

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 28th, 2011, 12:02 pm

I finished it up yesterday with a super jake 18 lbs. 6" beard 1/2" spurs. now it's time to catch some trout.

Jon
Turkeybuster

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 31st, 2011, 5:13 pm

Didn't get out at all the final week and half. Work caught up and going out when the low is 75F and the brush is hip high...just not my thing.

One of my buddies shot a nice bird upstate this morning. Said he never gobbled once.

This season has pushed many hunter's skills to the max. I have been blessed to have gotten out the most this season, compared to any season before. I have heard less gobbling this season, compared to the last five combined.

And despite getting skunked and not filling a tag, I succeeded in my main goal for each season and thats being in a position that I could make a kill.

It was only once but I did have a chance to take a bird this season and thats all that matters.

Going to be a long wait till fall.

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » June 2nd, 2011, 6:45 am

Jon, Glad you had a good season and tagged out. First week was best for me but not much gobbling for sure. Opening day the only bird gobbling in my area was the one I got. A little gobbling on Monday. Nothing on Tuesdday but took a long walk and got three fired up and got one of them. Both tags filled early. After that went with other guys to call for them and nothing. Strange year but had years like that before.

First one was 16lbs had a 9"beard and 15/16 and 1 1/16" spurs
Second one was 19 lbs had 8.5" beard and 3/4 inch spurs

Bob
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » June 2nd, 2011, 10:34 am

Congrats. Bob I saw your posts on the other one and I knew you were getting a lot more sleep than I was. It seemed the third week was the best for me it was quiet for the most part but the birds I got were responsive. It was a very strange season this year I guess it was the weather, there for awhile I checked my feet regularly to see if any webs were starting to grow. I never went to camp every time I planned to go another week of rain was in the forecast. We can look forward to the fall season now hopefully the weather will cooperate this time.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Previous

Return to Pennsylvania