Pond?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
tonyotony

Pond?

Postby tonyotony » May 26th, 2011, 3:08 pm

Going to my sister's house, who, along with "turkeys in the area", and woods, then a downhill slope just beyond the backyard, have a nice size pond behind the house.  Birds have to drink, don't they?  So how 'bout if I set up somewhere near the pond, or in the woods beyond the pond. All of this property is at the top of a hill.  Haven't had time to scout, but looking for some ideas for a somewhat "blind" hunt.  The family has seen a turkey in the front yard, last week, but I'm told that a turkey cannot see the backyard from the front, if I was to setup dekes in the back.  Hmmm. Any advice from an experienced turkey hunter?  Since I'm going to be in the area, thought I would give it a whirl, since I haven't seen any birds where I've already hunted this year.

xcal1ber

RE: Pond?

Postby xcal1ber » May 26th, 2011, 5:27 pm

Hey Tony, first of all id like to say welcome to the forum, you really did find the right place to ask ????'s about turkey hunting. Im going to say if theres any way you can get out and maybe try and roost them the night before then it would be awesome. Yes turkeys do have to drink, so the pond wouldnt be a bad idea. My advice is that if you can roost them then set up the next morning according to where they are roosting, id try to get about 100-150 yards away if i could. If roosting is not an option then you could always try to find a place where you think they would use as a strut zone and set up your blind and a decoy if you have one, you dont need one but it always helps. Lastly if neither of them work then if the property your going to be hunting on is big, then you could try to cut and run. I hope this helps, i know one of our veteran hunters will give you some better info, but thats just my 2 cents. Good luck. 
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 26th, 2011, 5:55 pm

From what I understand and have been told, is that turkeys don't drink, they get the water from what they eat. BUT they are attracked to water because it is easy for them to find food there and they like to roost over or close by it.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 26th, 2011, 11:29 pm

Welcome to the forum, Tony. If it was me I would be asking my sister a ton of questions on where she is seeing the birds the most often and when. If she or anyone else can give you a good location that is where I would setup. If you're not able to get any good detail I would get in the woods early and wait about 30 mins before daylight and give out an owl call and see if you can get one to respond. Good luck to you.
Is it turkey season yet?

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » May 27th, 2011, 3:33 am

I know pheasants get their hydration from what they eat. I have also seen a flock of 20+ turkeys walk to the edge of a pond and drink. I think your strategy would work if that pond were the only water supply close but it sounds like there is plenty of water in KY this spring [:D]
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

dewey

Postby dewey » May 27th, 2011, 5:15 am

I would mirror kygobbler's comments and pick your sisters brain on where she see the turkeys at and what time. Also try to get out the night before or early the next morning and get them to shock gobble with a crow call. You might be able to figure out where they are going by connecting the dots. Also find the area on Google Earth and look at where strut zones maybe located along with possible agricultural fields. I have also heard that turkeys do not drink water but get it through what they eat especially in KY where I would assume the landscape is very moist after all the rain.

I have found that when I talk to landowners and they tell you where the birds are at LISTEN to them and not just go on what your gut tells you. Especially when they give you a certain time when they show up.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 29th, 2011, 1:19 am

I have only witnessed one turkey drinking . I think it is a ''I CAN TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT '' thing . Lovett says they get their moisture or water from their food .

I assume that wherever you live it must be near the end of the season . If I'm right , I would assume most hens are already on the nest .

What ever method you choose you must sound natural . I would recommend keekee's of a young hen . Not too loud . This is a call that you can spend quite some time with and not be overcalling , especially if you are moving around . But , moving or not , be alert . Old tom may just come in quiet .

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 29th, 2011, 3:33 am

Turkeys get 99% of the moisture they require in their diet from their food. Dick Kirby, who had 25 Grand Slams and hunted in over 40 states, said the only time he focused on water sources was in the arid SouthWest during the dry season. Even then he didn't advocate hunting the water source, but setting up within a couple hundred yards and calling. Guarding the pond wouldn't be the best use of your time. I wouldn't hunt the yard either, just because someone saw a turkey there. They call them "Wild" turkeys for a reason.

Scouting or observation is the surest way to find out where turkeys prefer to spend their time.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 31st, 2011, 1:13 am

We have a pond at the lease that acts like a barrier, which causes turkeys to travel one side of it or the other.  The woods are so thick behind the dam that the creek coming off it makes a great travel corridor.  Even if you're season's done by now, a bit of scouting can help find a good setup for next year.  I know there's a long time between now & next Spring's turkey season, but a little preparation throughout the year can give you a great place to hunt when it's time.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Strategies