bowhunting with gun hunters

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
arrowsonly

bowhunting with gun hunters

Postby arrowsonly » March 3rd, 2009, 6:13 am

I do not want or need an advantage, all I want is a safe place to hunt. I hunt on public land, I do not have the privliage of hunting private property. Here in central WI good luck, I hope you have deep pockets !
I have been stalked on more than one occasion on public ground buy hunters who did not see my blind until they were very close. I do not use strutting toms, rarley do I use a jake, many states have banned motion, I do use a HazelCreek mounted hen...
I started putting floresent tape on top of my blind! I had two young hunters in MN @ a spot that I had to myself in years past. Belly crawl to within 50 yards of my blind and a nice TOM that was working into my set up.   We do it on geese all the time...                    I packed my stuff and moved again! 

I have found an area in SE MN that has some public land that is Archery only, its nice not to worry !
I feel priviledged to have this area to hunt, I do feel that we need a seperate time or place to hunt safely. Todays guns are way to powerfull, a 3 1/2 " mag w/5 shot & a choke tube!
I would not want to get hit by a fistfull of that...   

Thanks for the feedback, I do only hunt in the spring. In MN you can't leave your pop up blind set up over night. I leave mine in the same place but "pop" it down..
I am not worried about being shot as much as I don't like people coming into my decoy spreads/set-ups
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

StevePA

RE: bowhunting with gun hunters

Postby StevePA » March 3rd, 2009, 8:57 am

Need to ban stalking in the process....
turkeykiller

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » March 3rd, 2009, 5:22 pm

My only question is why is it more dangereous for a bowhunter than for a gun hunter?  This only stresses the need to be a defensive hunter and assume all others in the field with you are potential trouble.  In the youth season last year I called in another set of "hunters" on public ground.  He came in gobbling on a shaker call all the way.  I believe you would have to be just as cautious in an archery only season.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 3rd, 2009, 5:24 pm

which would hurt worse...a wad of 6's or a rage expandable?

silvestris

Postby silvestris » March 4th, 2009, 2:45 am

If you place yourself inside one of those pop-up blinds, you place yourself at risk.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 4th, 2009, 6:37 am

I don't know what the gripe is about with archery, in Pa. the archery season runs concurrent with turkey season to give the archers a chance to hunt the rut. It seems to work out fine and it also gives the archer a chance to shoot a turkey.This is in regards to the fall season and nobody is complaining.
If anybody wanted to complain I would think it should be the turkey hunters but there seems to be harmony among all of us.Actually it benefits all concerned as a few years back I witnessed a buck crossing at the same place at the same time three days in a row so on the fourth day I hunted birds in the early am. and guess who was waiting for the buck at 10:30 AM. with a bow? You got it the Buck buster.

Turkeybuster

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » March 5th, 2009, 5:23 pm

I have had a few bad experiences with hunters in tent blinds. It puts all hunters involved in a difficult and unsafe situation. Your looking in the direction you expect birds to come from but you maynot be as aware of whats going on around you. My brother and I hunt this state land spot, its loaded with birds. We had hot birds one morning things didn't go just right. We returned the next morning extra early, well before first light and set our decoys out and sat on the trees we picked the day before. As the gobbling picked up I made some soft tree calls. I was freaked out when 50 yards in front of us was a blinking flash light coming from a pop up blind. We were a mile in the woods. There was no car parked at the lot so we had no clue anyone was in there. We quietly crashed out of there and went elsewhere. I don't like how pop ups claims ground in prime areas for days on end. I wonder if anyone is even in there at times. Our state lands see many hunters in a season and it does not seem right to stake out the roost spots with pop ups no matter what your shooting. Maybe they should not be allowed on public ground. Many times an area gets hit more than once in a day and most hunters move on to the next spot. If someone is camping on a spot with a tent it limits that area to a few hunters only. I am a bowhunter also but have no desire to sit indoors to hunt, but to each his own.
live to hunt hunt to live

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion