spring stratigies

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
turkeytracks

spring stratigies

Postby turkeytracks » January 1st, 2009, 10:31 am

Besides breaking up the flock and calling them back together what are some other good spring stratigies?

silvestris

RE: spring stratigies

Postby silvestris » January 1st, 2009, 11:12 am

Breaking up a flock and calling them back is not a preferred spring strategy.  Yes, it will work, and may even eventually be necessary to kill a particularly tough gobbler covered up in hens.  Used to excess in the spring (perhaps as little as once) will cause your gobbler to cease gobbling and may cause to flock to change roosting areas.  It is, in my opinion, an accidental happening or a last ditch intentional effort.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

turkeytracks

Postby turkeytracks » January 1st, 2009, 11:21 am

Thats right sorry guys I just got my seasons confused. I knew that I don't know what I was thinking.[:@]

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 1st, 2009, 12:48 pm

No one knows what they are thinking until they have thunk it.

The preferred spring tactic is to get as close to a gobbler in a tree as you can without being detected.  Take his temperature and act accordingly remembering that you cannot take back the excessive yelp.  Hide, remain motionless, and keep your gun in a position where you can use it should the occasion present itself.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

JPH

Postby JPH » January 1st, 2009, 1:46 pm

There is a very wide range of options.

IMO, many turkey hunters are too afraid to call and too afraid to reposition. If you were to hunt with me, ear plugs and track shoes would be helpful.[:D]

That is not to say that aggressive calling or running-and-gunning are always the answer, but you will limit yourself if you do all your hunting with your call in your pocket and your butt on the ground. 

Morgan

Postby Morgan » January 1st, 2009, 2:18 pm

Do some really good scouting....helps to know where the birds are going...where they have been and where they will be...
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 1st, 2009, 2:19 pm

The true essence, in my opinion (figured I better throw in another disclaimer here), of spring gobbler hunting is finding gobbling turkeys.  Learn how to do that and all the rest will come in time, whether you ultimately decide to call a little or a lot, use decoys, blinds, sit still, run and gun, or whatever.  It's all about the gobble!

Jim

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 2nd, 2009, 7:58 am

HEY TURKEYTRACKS

If the hens lead the gobbler away try to get ahead of them if possible set up and call spareingly.
If this is out of the question slip back into this area later on in the day and try calling again.
Sometimes this will work if his hens go to nest or lose interest in him.

Turkeybuster

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » January 2nd, 2009, 9:01 am

Last spring, I got into a heated argument with a hen that was leading away a tom and maybe a jake, too (which I though was odd)... anyway, I cut and purred, and made all kinds of noise.  I even went so far as to start whacking my brother with my hat as if there was a fight going on.  I had never done it before, but using a diaphragm AND a box call at the same time really sounded like a fight.  didn't pay off, though.

so my question is, If I plan on challanging a boss hen...should I be the new fiesty gal, or the old gnarly broad who means buisness?  (Freud would have a field day with that question) Who do you think would get the boss hen's attention and anger enough to investigate...dragging the tom with her?

JPH

Postby JPH » January 2nd, 2009, 2:51 pm

ORIGINAL: grunt_doc

so my question is, If I plan on challanging a boss hen...should I be the new fiesty gal, or the old gnarly broad who means buisness?  (Freud would have a field day with that question) Who do you think would get the boss hen's attention and anger enough to investigate...dragging the tom with her?

Bottom line is that any time you face this situation, the odds are long. This is, IMO, time to throw caution and convention to the wind. Get nasty with her. It has only occasionally worked for me on the henned-up gobbler, but it has produced may good opportunities at other toms lurking in on the outskirts.  

Next

Return to Strategies