OUT WITH A BANG!

TURKEYBOSS

OUT WITH A BANG!

Postby TURKEYBOSS » May 18th, 2011, 7:49 am

THE LAST WEEK OF THE WISCONSIN TURKEY SEASON OPENED THIS MORNING... THE MORNING CAME WITH ME HUNTING ON A FARM THAT I USUALLY DONT HUNT TURKEYS ON. THERE A LOT OF BIRDS ON THE FARM BUT WAY TO MANY HENS. ITS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET THE TOMS TO LEAVE THE HENS TO COME TO YOUR CALL AND DECOY SETUP. BUT AFTER HUNTING IT A COUPLE TIMES WITH SOME OTHER PEOPLE EARLIER THIS YEAR I DECIDED TO SCOUT HARD LAST WEEK AND TRY TO HUNT THEM LIKE A DEER. SO I FOUND A PLACE TO SETUP THE WEEK BEFORE WHERE THE BIRDS WERE WALKING  BY ALMOST ON A DAILY BASIS.

SO ONCE IN MY SPOT EARLY IN THE MORNING PUT UP A SINGLE DECOY TO TRY TO KEEP THE BIRDS ATTENTION A LITTLE. AFTER LISTENING TO THEM GOBBLE ON THE ROOST A COUPLE HUNDRED YARDS DOWN THE WAY. I HEAR THEM PITCH DOWN AWAY FROM ME AND HEAD TO THE NEIGHBORS FARM. BUT I JUST KEPT BEING PATIENT AND STUCK TO MY PLAN NO CALLING. AT ABOUT 530 AM IM LOOKING TO THE LEFT WHERE THE BIRDS WERE STILL GOBBLING WAY OFF SLOWLY TURN MY HEAD BACK TO THE DECOY AND NOT TEN YARDS IN FRONT OF ME IS A COYOTE. WHEN I HUNT I REST THE GUN ON A BIPOD UP AGAINST MY SHOULDER SO AS I CLICKED THE SAFETY OFF MY 12 GAUGE SHE HEARD ME AND BOLT STRAIGHT AWAY, I SETTLED THE BEAD ON HER A SHOT HER AT 25 YARDS. PILED HER RIGHT UP. SO NOW WITH THE COYOTE DOWN IM THINKING MY HUNT IS OVER AT THAT FARM FOR THE DAY. SO I GO RETRIEVE THE COYOTE DECIDE TO CALL MY MOM TO BRING THE CAMERA OUT BY ME AND TAKE SOME PICS OF ME AND THE YOTE OUT IN THE WOODS. SHE AGREES TO COME BUT HAS TO PUT MY NIECE ON THE BUS FOR SCHOOL AND COULDNT GET OUT BY ME TILL AROUND 8 AM.

SO AFTER TALKING TO HERE I DECIDE TO GO BACK AND SIT AND CALL. AFTER ABOUT 5 MINUTES OF CALLING OFF AND ON A TOM GOBBLED AND HE WAS WITHIN 300 YARDS, SO I QUICKLY TEXTED MY MOM SAYING JUST HOLD OFF HAVE SOME BIRDS WORKING I WOULD JUST COME TO THE HOUSE AFTER I WAS DONE HUNTING. SO A SHORT WHILE LATER A TOM APPEARS IN A FIELD TO MY LEFT 150 YARDS AWAY. HE SLOWLY MAKES HIS WAY ACROSS THE FIELD GOBBLING EVERYTIME I WOULD CALL. HE GOT TO ABOUT 90 YARDS AND JUST HUNG UP, HE STAYED THERE FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES. THEN A QUICK HARD RAIN STROM DROVE HIM BACK INTO THE WOODS WHERE HE CAME FROM. I COULD HEAR SOME HENS BACK BEHIND ME. SO I BELLY CRAWLED TO THE LINE FENCE AND SETUP AGAINST A TREE AND STARTED CALLING AGAIN HOPING I COULD GET THEM TO COME AND BRING THE 4 TOMS ALONG. I WAS SURE THE TOM I HAD SEEN WAS ONE OF THE 4. SO AS IM CALLING THEY ARE JUST KIND OF FEEDING MY DIRECTION, I NOTICE OUT IN THE FIELD WHERE THE FIRST TOM WAS HE HAD COME BACK OUT INTO THE FIELD. SO NOW IM 65 YARDS FROM WHERE MY DECOY IS AND WOULDNT YOU KNOW IT HE FEEDS RIGHT UP TO THE DECOY. ONCE I KNEW HE WAS GOING TO COME RIGHT TO THE DECOY I SLOWLY GOT TO MY BELLY AND CRAWLED AS CLOSE AS I COULD WITHOUT EXPOSING MY SELF TO HIM. CRAWLED UP NEXT TO A SMALL TREE THAT I COULD USE TO REST THE GUN ON TO STEADY THE LONG SHOT. AND FROM THE PRONE POSTION I YELPED ONE TIME HE RAISED HIS HEAD AND I SETTLED THE BEAD ON IT AND TOOK THE SHOT. DOWN IN HIS TRACKS HE WENT. I RUSHED OUT QUICK TO MAKE SURE HE DIDNT GET UP AND GET AWAY. AFTER MAKING SURE HE WAS DEAD I RETURN TO MY ORIGINAL SETUP SPOT GRABBED MY RANGE FINDER AND WENT OUT TO SEE THE ACTUAL DISTANCE. I HAD CALLED IT RIGHT, 60 YARDS WAS THE SHOT. NOT BAD FOR A 3 INCH SHELL!

DEFENETLY ONE OF THE BEST DAYS IN THE TURKEY WOODS! SAD MY SEASON IS OVER, BUT WHAT BETTER WAY TO GO OUT!

16 LBS 7 OZ
10 7/8 INCH BEARD
3/4 INCHS SPURS 

dewey

RE: OUT WITH A BANG!

Postby dewey » May 18th, 2011, 9:25 am

Way to go turkeyboss! Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Wisconsin