Benelli Nova Opinions

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
hunter177

Benelli Nova Opinions

Postby hunter177 » May 17th, 2011, 6:03 pm

I'm most likely going to invest in a Benelli Nova 12 ga. in RealTree APG with a 26" barrel. It comes with 3 chokes but not a turkey choke. I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on these guns and what a good but inexpensive turkey choke would be for it? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

kygobbler

RE: Benelli Nova Opinions

Postby kygobbler » May 18th, 2011, 4:47 am

I've got one with a Kicks Gobblin Thunder that cost about $65 and its very nice. A friend of mine uses a Primos Tightwad that cost about $20 and he gets a very good pattern from it.
Is it turkey season yet?

air leak

Postby air leak » May 18th, 2011, 5:09 am

We use Comp-N-Chokes on our 3 shotguns. Right around 50 bucks. However, you can't use Hevi-Shot or the like. Lead or copper plated lead only. We use Remington 3 inch, 2 oz of # 4, Copper Plated. Kills turkeys real dead.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 19th, 2011, 4:54 am

ORIGINAL: hunter177

I'm most likely going to invest in a Benelli Nova 12 ga. in RealTree APG with a 26" barrel. It comes with 3 chokes but not a turkey choke. I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on these guns and what a good but inexpensive turkey choke would be for it? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hey Steve,

The Nova is a good solid gun with a great barrel but usually has a pretty heavy trigger pull. I've been shooting one for years and over time, the trigger pull does improve. You can also help it by "dry firing" it. That will help to smooth it.

There are 3 chokes that I've found to work well with those guns. The SSX ($36.95), the Wright's #3 ($49.95) and the Hevi-13 ($54.99). They all work well with most lead and tungsten-based shot loads, other than the Federal Flitecontrol Wad shells.

With turkey chokes, it's really all about the internal geometry or interior design. Those 3 are quite different but work very well.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Shooting