Looking for my first Gobbler

bigjohn

Looking for my first Gobbler

Postby bigjohn » April 25th, 2011, 8:54 am

Hello all! 

I am back in NM and spring turkey hunting for the first time.  Both of my boys are now old enough to hunt and both are excited to get a gobbler.  I went down with some buddies to Lincoln National Forest on opening weekend, but it was extremely quiet...very little talking from the Gobblers.  I did have a few hens come in close...but no Toms.  I have since gone out a few mornings closer to home in Santa Fe National Forest near Jemez Springs, but again...no talking from the gobblers.  I have tried locator calls, both owl and crow, to no avail so far.

If anyone can help point us to a location where there may be some birds up here in the Jemez...or elsewhere in the Santa Fe National Forst, it would be greatly appreciated as I would love to post a picture of me and my sons with a gobbler:)

Thanks!

Gobblerman

RE: Looking for my first Gobbler

Postby Gobblerman » April 28th, 2011, 9:13 am

Hey, bigjohn,...I'm down here in southern NM so, unfortunately, I cannot help you out with your hunting in the northern part of the state.  The trick to finding Merriams gobblers in NM is to get yourself a really loud crow call and spend the last half hour before full darkness in the evening and the first half hour before full daylight in the morning moving quickly from one location to another, hitting the call with a couple of sharp, loud blasts,.... until you get a gobbler to respond.  You will find birds to hunt....if they are around...by doing that! 

Stay in areas that have water sources.  Probably the 8000 to 9000 ft. elevation levels will be best, but they could be lower or higher, depending on conditions. 

Good luck to you and your boys!

Jim

bigjohn

RE: Looking for my first Gobbler

Postby bigjohn » May 2nd, 2011, 8:46 am

Thanks!

Return to New Mexico