how did your season go

RCTaylor

how did your season go

Postby RCTaylor » May 15th, 2011, 9:43 am

just wandering how everybodys season went?

retranger

RE: how did your season go

Postby retranger » May 15th, 2011, 11:36 am

Randy our season is still on. I believe we may be the last (ends May 31) I haven't been out only 3 times as my wife had back surgery but we did take a bird opening day and I took one yesterday (NY post) Our activity was late due to the late spring. Birds in my area are just starting to move around. I suspect the last 2 weeks of May should be good.[:)][:)]
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » May 15th, 2011, 1:13 pm

Wish our season was still going. 2 birds in 3 outings ain't to bad!!!! was a strange year for the birds i was hunting, they still had hens with them until the end of the season. not much gobbling after they left th e roost. did get one nice bird, had my chances though. hard to say but i missed 2 birds, one nice bird and one monster bird. i have never missed a bird and it does not sit well with me. when i say missed i hit both birds but they took the hit and flew off. will be changing shells for next year but it still haunts me.

retranger

Postby retranger » May 16th, 2011, 2:16 am

Randy just out of cucuriosity what are you using? How far away was the bird? I have a mossberg 935 turkey gun with the 22" barrel. I have always used 3" 5 or 6's copper plated and never had birds leave. My pattern is good out to 40 yds and have taken birds close to that.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » May 16th, 2011, 3:25 pm

was shooting remington mag. 3 1\2 no. 5. one at 50 steps, my steps are not that long. did not think it was that far though. have killed birds at that distance but was shooting winchester 3 1\2 no. 5. next bird was about 40 steps. both birds were hit but flew off.

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » June 7th, 2011, 3:16 pm

got to looking at my remington shells and they were comming open on the ends and the white stuff was falling out.. will be using a different brand of shells next year.

Cut N Run

Re: how did your season go

Postby Cut N Run » December 8th, 2011, 11:05 pm

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I killed one fine gobbler last spring (My avatar photo). I had plenty come fairly close, but got no good shots on them. It seemed like they either passed behind me or were on the other side of a big tree & walked straight away from it. I guess the best thing is that they'll be around this coming Spring. As a matter of fact, we probably took fewer birds off the lease this year than any year in the past decade.

My friend, E.P. saw two huge gobblers out there a few weeks ago when he was deer hunting.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to North Carolina