The plan

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
mark hay

The plan

Postby mark hay » May 9th, 2011, 11:51 am

I  really planned on going hunting this evening . But I did some mowing and ate too much supper . I know , that's a very poor excuse . So as I have been sitting here reading different posts I  came up with a plan for tomorrow .
 My work day ends at 2 pm . Tomorrow I'll get to the truck and take off my boots and put on my house slippers . 8 hours on concrete really takes it out of me and makes my feet ache . So , I'll put on some cooler and loose fitting slippers for the 50 minute ride and get my feet in better shape for some real walking .  Then when I get home I will change into some drab and get back in the truck ,,head for the hunting area .
 Forecast is calling for thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon . My goal is to be there when they pass through and hopefully hear some shock gobbling from the thunder . At least I'll know where the birds are if this works out . If I can locate those 3 longbeards by their shock gobbles I'll move in as close as I can and try to fool them once again . I know also it's a gamble simply for the fact I've tricked 'em too often already . What can I say ?
 One thing is for dead certain . I will not be caught out in any type of open timber again running a call or setting up there . I'll risk the noise of running like a young man just to get in some decent cover .
 It's suppose to be in the 80's tomorrow so rain won't keep me in the truck this time .

Turkeybuster

RE: The plan

Postby Turkeybuster » May 9th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Good Luck Mark hope everything goes as planed I gave up on the planning the birds always have a different idea.

Jon
Turkeybuster

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 9th, 2011, 1:10 pm

Thanks Jon. I can't screw up the thunder [:D]. The rest is more of a lot of HOPE I guess.
 Probably spook 'em driving in [:@].

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 9th, 2011, 1:27 pm

Good luck tomorrow Mark, play them some sweet spring music on that trumpet and hope they come to dance.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » May 9th, 2011, 2:48 pm

Good luck to you tomorrow, Mark. I'll be anxiously waiting to see how things pan out for you!
Brian

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » May 9th, 2011, 3:38 pm

go get them hay,sounds like a great plan,work for me last week.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 9th, 2011, 10:31 pm

Good luck to you this afternoon. Also, for your feet try out some Timberland boots. If you have to wear steel toes they are by far the most comfortable. Im on 12 hr shifts and my feet would be killing me at the end of the shift. Then I got a pair of Timberland Pro Endurance and man you can tell a difference at the end of the day. Anyway, I hope everything goes as planned for you this afternoon.
Is it turkey season yet?

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 11th, 2011, 10:51 am

Do you remember when you was little and you dished out too much food on your plate and couldn't eat all of it ?What did they say ? ''EYES ARE BIGGER THAN YOUR BELLY ,BOY''. Well , that's kinda how it was with me yesterday. My craving to go ,,well it got me there . But when I got into the woods , I was just too da'gum tired to cover any ground . The storms popped up just like I wanted , but they were just a mite too far away . Only the rumbles of thunder instead of some ground shaking booms.
 So , I sit here , having just finished mowing the yard , with the same longing for a hunt . And only 4 days left of the season [:@].

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » May 11th, 2011, 3:21 pm

do not gave up hay stay after them,I to just have 4-days left,also put 3-to bed tonight after church.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 12th, 2011, 9:44 am

At least you have a plan. Don't let those last few days slip away on you. I'd give about anything to be able to get back into the woods after turkeys now.

If you hit the woods when lightning's flying, you're crazier than me. That stuff will kill you and probably have a good time doing it. I used to not be scared of lightning, to the point where I'd be fishing in an aluminum boat on the water when lightning was crashing all around the place. Then, I had a real close call which scared the fool out of me. A tree beside my house got struck and the lightning came into the house and cooked the TV, washer & dryer, stereo, phone, well pump, furnace, and it left black singe marks above every receptacle in the house. The place probably would have caught fire if there were curtains covering any of the receptacles. I was walking down the hall to unplug some stuff and the next thing I know, I was waking up dizzy on the floor of a dark house that smelled burnt. My neighbor found me dazed, looking as white as a sheet. We had to get the whole place rewired and insurance didn't pay as much as I was hoping it might.

Be careful out there, Mark. I'm telling you that one close call is plenty for me. Good luck when you go. I hope you have a great rest of the turkey season.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Next

Return to Strategies