Conclusion: Roundup at Rope Ridge

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » May 10th, 2011, 10:35 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Upon hearing the field-edge birds gobble for the umpteenth time, I'd had enough. I rose from my setup and looked for a route that would take me at least a little closer to the breeding flock.

Turns out that was the wrong decision, but I got lucky. Just as I rose, the timid gobbler finally sounded off -- 60 steps away on the ridge. He'd been approaching silently the entire time. If I had moved, or if the bird hadn't finally gobbled, I'd have blown the deal.

I quickly sat down, leveled my gun toward the sound and yelped one more time. Minutes later, a dandy 2-year-old longbeard was flopping on the ridge.

Not surprisingly, the field-edge longbeards gobbled at the shot.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Need last-minute gobbler gear for this spring? Click here!

educote

RE: Conclusion: Roundup at Rope Ridge

Postby educote » May 11th, 2011, 8:04 am

Ah, yes, it just takes the right 2 minutes to change everything on a turkey hunt. And birds left over to hunt another day too.

Gobblerman

RE: Conclusion: Roundup at Rope Ridge

Postby Gobblerman » May 13th, 2011, 1:38 pm

Ain't nuttin' like some good luck to put the nuggets in the fryin' pan!

Return to Decision Time