Wild Turkey Dumpling Soup

Share your favorite ways to prepare the world's tastiest game bird.
d2bucktail

Postby d2bucktail » March 18th, 2009, 5:54 pm

This is a super simple recipe you can make on a cold winter day and it will warm our soul!  It's an old family chicken soup recipe I got from my mom back in 1987.  It works great with any kind of fowl!  The last batch I made was a big one - 18 qts!  I used chicken, turkey, and and wild turkey in that recipe.  I'll give the basic ingredients my mom gave me and you can adjust the quantities to suit the size of your batch of soup.  If anyone is interested in the amounts of each ingredient for the big batch I made, let me know and I'll post that here, too.

D2's notes:  My mother-in-law has a habit of saving potato water in the freezer for soup.  I must say it is a great idea and makes excellent soup stock.  We sometimes save water from other veggies, too.  The last batch of soup I made included lots of potato water, carrot/broccoli water, and a cool whip container of clear tomato juice from yellow tomatoes from our garden.  Also included a big yogurt container of my mother-in-law's famous Thanksgiving turkey gravy! Mmmmm!  Another tip is to save all your chicken and turkey scraps and carcasses including necks and other undesirable parts in the freezer until your ready to make a batch of soup.  Simmer the fowl pieces for an hour.  Scrape off the meat and discard the bones and skin.

Wild Turkey
Salt
Pepper
Celery (chopped)
Onion (chopped)
Carrots (sliced)

Dumplings
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1TBSP water
1/2-3/4 cup flour

Mix dumpling ingredients together and drop in simmering soup - about 1 TBSP drops.  Cover and cook 2-3 minutes longer.  Enjoy! [:)]

Small red jars with jars of soup are home made jalapeno hot sauce! [:D]

Return to Wild Turkey Recipes