bmobile or half strutted jake

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
t3adrenalin

bmobile or half strutted jake

Postby t3adrenalin » April 27th, 2011, 10:49 am

I have used my bmobile for years, and have pretty much every tom i have seen, has come running to my setup, until now! I dont what is going on this year, it might be the late spring here in wisconsin, or the birds i am hunting havent been that aggresive? For the past 2 weeks I have had strutters gobble and gobble they see my decoys, close the distance to 80 yards, then turn around and walk away. So my question is, have or are any of you having this same problem? I am thinking about trying a half strutted jake decoy, any input?

MrCritterKiller

RE: bmobile or half strutted jake

Postby MrCritterKiller » May 2nd, 2011, 4:19 pm

I also hunt Wisconsin, and during the learn-to-hunt weekend (first in April), I had toms doing the same thing to a solo hen, four hens and a hen/strutting jake combo. I did call in one tom to the four hen set up with a cluck and purr.

In years past, I've had 50-50 luck with my B-Mobile. I'm 99% sure those that flare off are 2-year-olds who have had their tail feathers kicked. I made a real jake fan by cutting down a tom fan, and that has worked on a two year old, but it took 50 minutes.

Can you get into the woods where a decoy isn't so critical? Otherwise, get a comfy chair and wait 'em out.

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » May 10th, 2011, 2:14 pm

I would try it with no decoy. make him look for the hen.

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » May 11th, 2011, 3:54 pm

I agree with RC, make him hunt you. Never hunted with a strutting decoy so its hard for me to offer you any other advice, sorry.

bamabirdbuster13

Re: bmobile or half strutted jake

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » March 9th, 2012, 5:14 pm

ive had a bmobile since 09 and i shot my first bird ove it last year .. i hunt alone so it gets to b too much clutter taking it in and out i would just use a half strut jake decoy. i tend to shoot most my birds with no decoys though
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

Return to Strategies