Hens but no toms?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
turfguy

Hens but no toms?

Postby turfguy » March 30th, 2011, 4:26 am

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice? I am hunting a 130 A track of land and have been seeing hens year round, but have yet to hear a gobbler. I have been listening in the mornings and trying to roost them in the evenings but nothing. I had 2 hens in the field with me one afternoon and they were not making a sound. Even when I started calling they wouldn't do anything. The most I've seen was 10 back during bow season and the wife called this morning telling me she saw 5. This is only my second season so I need some help. Not sure whats going on.

retranger

RE: Hens but no toms?

Postby retranger » March 30th, 2011, 4:56 am

Welcome to the site Andy I'm sure you will find some help here. Don't know where you are but if you have hens around there will be toms. Don't do any calling (if your season isn't open yet) watch the hens and see where they go and get a pattern. Some toms should show up sometime.[:)] Be patient Check some other areas also. Good luck
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

dewey

Postby dewey » March 30th, 2011, 5:10 am

I would agree with what retranger just said. Don't call very much or at all as you don't want to teach the turkeys any of your tricks. As for the hens like he said if you have hens you are in a good spot. You just need to wait for the gobblers to get that funny feeling in their pants and to come looking for those hens. Be patient as the toms might not be fired up yet for loving but if the hens are there the toms will be eventually.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turfguy

Postby turfguy » March 30th, 2011, 5:23 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Guess I'll keep my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut.

DonMcJr

Postby DonMcJr » May 9th, 2011, 8:52 am

I've got the same problem...all hens and the 3 Toms I have on trail cameras never show...I have a 24/7 video cam on my food plot and see 10- 15 birds whenever I'm not sitting there!

So todays plan...sit, shut up, listen and watch...they already sent the scout hen out as I've been in my blind for an hour now...I kept quiet and she came and left...now in an hour she'll tell her friends, " Cluck...he's not there...cluck...let's go eat at the food plot...cluck cluck"

LOL
Since I didn't get on a team I'll just shoot a Record Book Tom lol!

maineute

Postby maineute » May 9th, 2011, 2:21 pm

Don, that is good stuff.

I never call until I am ready to seal the deal. If I am going to trick a bird, odds are it will only be once. Then they will know that that call gets me shot at and then you have to wait until they forget. I hunt a small field where I keep seeing the same 2 hens, and every 3 or 4 days a tom shows up and roosts with them. I just have to wait to not screw it up.

Return to Strategies