Reading - Writing and Arithmetic

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
eggshell

Reading - Writing and Arithmetic

Postby eggshell » May 7th, 2011, 2:11 pm

As I was sitting reflecting on the forum discussions and my season I started thinking about what I done right and wrong. It struck me that there are three fundamentals, much like school. Here is a short synopsis of those thoughts:

Reading - When you hear a gobbler you need to read his mood and where he's at. Can I move on him, is he anxious hot, has he had pressure. How quick is he to answer the call. Read the land and figure which way he will most likely travel. Experience and reflections from experienced hunters help you read this. Don't you read the preface of a book to set the stage for the story within? Will he like hard calling or soft?

Writing - It's not always what you say, but how you say it that makes a difference. Early in the season you will get away with being the mouthy flirting chick, but by the end of the school year guys know which chicks are just pulling their string. So speak softly and mean what you say, put it in writing. As a Christian brother please excuse this analogy ....if your in a bar and the girl at the counter is jawing your arm off and flirting, your ok with that, but when the hot blonde across the room stands up and takes off her shirt and coyly says, "look at these, boys". Where do you think most every male in the place will be? So say less as the season goes on.

Arithmetic - Figuring is crucial to life. In turkey hunting you need to figure where he wants to be, where your gonna shoot him, how far is he, will he come linear or circle? You have to figure how long should I hold out in one spot or move. How many times do i call? Is it time to to go find another bird. How far away is he? All calculations that require an answer in an expeditious manner.

I cold expand on each of these fundamentals for pages, but I think you get the drift.

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: Reading - Writing and Arithmetic

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 7th, 2011, 3:07 pm

Very well put Dana. [:D]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » May 7th, 2011, 5:37 pm

hey eggsshell,very well said

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 8th, 2011, 1:18 am

EXCELLENT STUFF

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 8th, 2011, 2:54 am

Exactly right, Dana. Your thread ought to be titled "welcome to turkey school". It's all about making the proper judgements based on a turkey's reactions.

I thought your analogy of a hot blonde* in a bar taking her top off was spot on.

*Even though I prefer brunettes. Just sayin'

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » May 8th, 2011, 3:29 am

That's some great stuff, eggshell. Thanks for sharing!
Brian

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » May 8th, 2011, 10:12 am

Thats awesome Dana, never thought to put it like that!
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

Return to Strategies