Official Thread: My First Turkey

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
kygobbler

RE: Official Thread: My First Turkey

Postby kygobbler » May 7th, 2011, 10:55 pm

[8|][;)][8|] I believe thats one of them I see nothing, I know nothing, I hear nothing type of stories. But since you was only 12 at the time hopefully the fire doesn't get too out of control.
Is it turkey season yet?

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » May 8th, 2011, 4:28 am

Heres my first year turkeys.Been along time since I killed these birds and I blame them for my now uncurable Desease called TURKALOSIS FEVER.These are the old snapshot and print poloroids throwed on a scanner so bare with me on quality..The top photo is of the first mature Tom I had ever taken.Not shure on his wieght but had a 10 1/2" beard and 1 1/4" spurs.The bottom pic was a jake and I was as happy with him as if he had a braided rope for a beard and 5/0 hooks for spurs.Look in the background of the top photo.The tree directly behind me is accually a Holly tree.The largest one I have ever seen.This was the farm my grandfather was raised on and would say that holly is pushing 200 years of life now.

Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

ncturkey

Postby ncturkey » May 26th, 2011, 10:57 am

This is my first turkey. I took him back on April 14 1997. It was my fifth turkey season too. The reason I took this bird was due to scouting begining in early March. The place I got him was on a game land in North Carolina. I almost took this same tom on opening day on the Saturday April 12 1997. But due to other hunters scaring him off I fail to get him. I roosted him on Sunday evening. Monday the 14th I was setup near his roost by 5:00 am. He gobbled good on the roost he flew down and went to the west instead of east to me. After that morning setup I sat down to try and figure out were that gobbler went. I then remembered from my scouting he had a strut zone to the west of the roost. So I went a few ridges over near his strut zone. I called on my mouth caller. He gobbled from the far end of his strut zone. I setup and I called to that him for hours but he would not come my way. I played the silent game with him. Finnally at 2:45pm he came to look for that hen that had been calling to him. He was coming straight to me. he moved to my left behind a tree. he stood behind that tree for what seemed like forever. He then turned to leave going straight away. He made the mistake of stoping and looking back toward me. That was his final mistake. I fired and down he goes. He tipped the scale at 22 lbs even, sported 10 1/4" beard with 1" dull spurs. I named my first turkey too. He is called Flinthill Gobbler. He is name after the mountain which I took him. There is flintrock everywhere around that mountain. I think that is why his spurs are so dulled. Here is a picture of "The Flinthill Gobbler" Thanks, MikeImage
Mike

Previous

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!