What if my WI plan A falls through?

dewey

What if my WI plan A falls through?

Postby dewey » April 19th, 2011, 6:55 am

So I have been talking to Charlie Elk and arrowsonly about spring turkey hunting in the St Croix National Park and I got a zone 4 tag lined up for time period E, May 11-15.[:D] However arrowonly asked about the river levels. Darn, I never thought about that. Right now I figure by looking at the current river levels in Stillwater and by using Google Earth I figure the river needs to drop about 12-15 feet in 3 weeks.[:@] So I am starting to think about plan B.

Anyone have any information on some public land hunting in zone 4 or where to look.[8|] Thoughts?[8|]

Thanks from a potentially very nervous Dewey.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: What if my WI plan A falls through?

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 19th, 2011, 2:43 pm

I can't point you to any area up there dewey I've never hunted zone 4. You might try the DNR website and type in public hunting areas for what ever county your hunting and see what comes up?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 22nd, 2011, 2:42 pm

The river level should be down by time of your hunt. I have not heard the river is at flood stage upstream from Stillwater.  I will contact some friends and check on the water level.  Seems a pretty typical spring so barring some heavy rains you should be fine.
Busy hunting my first season so I'[ll be back at you on the turkey's days off Monday or Tuesday.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 25th, 2011, 4:26 pm

According to my sources up there the river is a little high now but receding rapidly.  Unless we get a lot of rain to the north the river level for your hunt should be fine. 
I would suggest a trip to check it out for yourself prior to your season.  If there is a problem and you are willing to drive a bit further I know of some other good options.
Keep me posted. 
later,
charlie

dewey

Postby dewey » May 4th, 2011, 7:52 am

With the uncertainty of the river levels and the fact that the wifey is pretty worried about me canoeing in the river at high levels by myself I have revised the hunting plans.

I plan on staying at Interstate Park in WI and then hunting the St Croix National park land along with the WI DNR state fish hatchery land just South of the park and North of Osceola. I also plan on hitting some more St Croix National land South of Osceola. I plan on leaving home, Crystal MN, next Thursday morning after I drop my little guy off at daycare and then head to Interstate Park and set up camp and then hunt the rest of the day. I plan on hunting from Thursday until Sunday if need be.

If you are in the area feel free to stop by and say hi. I will be driving a Oldsmobile Intrigue with a NDSU license plate holder.

P.S. Charlie thank you so much for the help as I GREATLY appreciate it.

Good luck to anyone else out hunting the wiley turkeys.[:D]

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 4th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Your welcome, hope you have a great hunt.  [:)]
I'll be hunting in unit 1 with my daughter then so unfortunately, won't be in that neck of the woods.
later,
charlie

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » May 5th, 2011, 10:50 am

It may be a little north of where you want to drive, but governor knowles state forest ,crex meadows and fish lake wildlife area are by grantsburg and still south of hwy 77. 

crookedspur

Postby crookedspur » May 12th, 2011, 1:13 pm

This is my first time in zone 4, Ive always been in 3 where my brother lives. I live in zone 4 (Merrill) but hunt 3 with my brother since he got me hopelessly addicted to this sport.

I bought an extra tag and decided to try out 4 this year. I am hunting private land. Day one (wednesday) I worked til 6am and got to the spot around 7:15am. Had one strutting 50 yrds off the road on the property just south of where I had permission. Around 10am I called in a group of 3 hens and two jakes. I was very excited with this as it's the first time Ive used a diaphragm call. All the time practicing evidentally paid off.
Today I got in the blind, tried to get them to shock gobble but heard nothing. Just before flydown I heard 2 start gobbling, one around 100 yrds away and the other a bit further. I resisted the urge to call to them and when I felt it was time to flydown I did a flydown cackle. When I heard the closest one gobble next I gave a couple yelps and shut up. After flydown I heard one gobble twice...heading away from me. I called to him but received no response. I didnt hear anymore gobbling and didnt see anything the rest of the morning. I believe they headed (based on where I heard the last gobble) to the area I saw the strutter the previous morning.
I decided to stop and talk to the farmer who owns the little piece and got a thumbs up to set up there in the morning. I am stoked, but Ive learned never to get my hopes up too high when it comes to turkeys.
Anyway, what I have found in my experience is getting private turkey land to hunt is a piece of cake. Most farmers are busy in the spring with getting ready for field work. They therefore dont hunt themselves. I have had many farmers tell me "shoot em all" as they dont seem to care for them. I estimate I get about a 70% yes when asking permission. The only time I get "no" is when someone else is already hunting it. I will say though zone 3 is easier in getting permission vs zone 4, which I believe comes from more farms in zone 3.
Try it out next season, it's nothing like trying to get permission to hunt deer! I like to get out a couple weeks before the season and locate turkeys. I usually do this in the evening when they are heading back to roosting areas. This gives me an idea of the area they will be roosting. Find out who owns the land and ask permission. I usually like to get 3 or so pieces to hunt in case I find one was as promising as I'd hoped.

Return to Wisconsin