anyone having luck on WMA's

1sttimeturkey

anyone having luck on WMA's

Postby 1sttimeturkey » April 22nd, 2009, 11:09 am

I decided to try turkey hunting this year. I am a bowhunter so that makes things even more difficult. I have scouted, and scouted, and scouted until my legs are about to fall off. I have found a few tracks, and a few feathers where it looks like the hen was dusting. So far I have had 3 jakes pass outside of shooting range, just behind my dekes. I think I bumped those birds as they got a look at me. Since then, nothing. Where the heck are all the gobblers. Im starting to think Im hunting invisible animals. I go to the woods and all I hear is the sound of every kind of bird except a turkey. I cant find the birds to find the roost. Anyone else having this problem, or is it just because Im new to turkey hunting?

DeanoZ

RE: anyone having luck on WMA's

Postby DeanoZ » April 24th, 2009, 10:12 am

I hunt a military installation (NWS Earle) and I am experiencing a lot of your frustration.  I went out several tiems pre-season and could only locate some tracks and a few sparse scratchings...aside from that they've been tight lipped and I have yet to hear one let alone actually see one in the area I hunt.  Tomorrow will be my opening day (could not go out last weekend) and I'm not sure what to expect, but if I at least hear one, i'll feel much better.  Can't say for sure if it sme or not...its not my first turkey hunt, but its definately my first in many years and I've learned quite a bit here.  Good luck to you, I say just keep at it and hopefully yur luck will change.

1sttimeturkey

Postby 1sttimeturkey » April 28th, 2009, 3:16 pm

I hunt in the Colliers Mill area. Things are improving. This Morning I had two gobblers making music. Couldn't have been 80 yards away. I called and called, but they just went the other way. Maybe I'm not calling right, but I have heard hens in the area I hunt and I have been trying to imitate them. Not having any luck though. I did see one in full strut this morning, but he saw me the same time I saw him. These guys are tough hunts. Tommorrow Im gonna set up my blind right next to that strut zone, early.

1sttimeturkey

Postby 1sttimeturkey » April 30th, 2009, 9:36 am

OK, I'm about to give up. I tried again this morning. Had a gobbler about 100 yards from me gobbling his head off. I started with some light yelping. When he gobbled, I increased the exitement a little and gave a few clucks and cuts. All he did was sit over there and wait for the hen to come to him. He gobbled there for about 10 minutes, and then walked the other way. I caught up with him a little later and tried again, but he turned away again. I dont know what I'm doing wrong, but I'm getting pretty frustrated. They say to shoot a wild turkey with a bow is quite an accomplishment. well, I believe them. Can't wait for dear season.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » May 7th, 2009, 12:25 pm

Hey 1sttime...its sort of a first for me as well and don't feel bad at least your seeing them and their responding...I've seen a total of 1 hen and that was when I bumped her going down a two track...but at least i have an idea where hey are roosting...now if the weather will cooperate I'll be out there this Saturday.

As to your dilemma, something is definitely holding them up.  i would try two things...ditch the dekes...your gob may be too wary of them and that may be holding him up.  The other thing I'd try is calling less..if he responded once I would not call again for a little bit..and if you are going to call I'd try myabe some soft purrs, with a few clicks thrown in or whines.  Last thing you might want to try is just getting up and moving back..calling as you walk away.  That'll make him think the hen is leaving the area, he might get frustrated and come after her...of course that setup requires no deke to begin with and is probably a lot harder if your bow hunting.  My hats off to you for bowhunting..i wanted to do that as well, but since it was my first real solo attempt I figured I'd stick with the shotgun for my first time.  best of luck, don't lose faith..the way i see it is if your at least able to get them to respond to your calls, thats a win in my book!

Yeap deer season can't come soon enough!

TheOldGeeser

Postby TheOldGeeser » May 13th, 2009, 12:25 pm

[font="Arial"]
I hunted Buckshutem and
Dix WMA's in Zone 21.
It rained most of the time! Birds were still on the roost at 11:OOam!!!
They flew down, hit the ground running and never looked back. Went into the thickest cover and stayed there. No amount of calling seemed to interest them. I know they were'nt gun shy because most of the guys I spoke with earlier in the week never even saw or heard any birds. Wed I was working 3 hens, jake and a Gobbler but could not get them in gun range and finally spooked them trying to crawl closer. Friday I chased a
Gobbler most of the day,
ended up hiking about 12 miles and never saw him.
This Sat my last chance
to score.

roughrider123

Postby roughrider123 » May 4th, 2011, 4:59 am

Get in early, 45 minutes before sunrise, hit a crow call loud caw-caw-caw, listen to where he is and get as close as you can quickly and as quietly as possible. Set up, call ONE TIME, if he answers stop till he flies down. Call once more lightly and stop. you need to get between him and the hen.

roughrider out
ORIGINAL: 1sttimeturkey

OK, I'm about to give up. I tried again this morning. Had a gobbler about 100 yards from me gobbling his head off. I started with some light yelping. When he gobbled, I increased the exitement a little and gave a few clucks and cuts. All he did was sit over there and wait for the hen to come to him. He gobbled there for about 10 minutes, and then walked the other way. I caught up with him a little later and tried again, but he turned away again. I dont know what I'm doing wrong, but I'm getting pretty frustrated. They say to shoot a wild turkey with a bow is quite an accomplishment. well, I believe them. Can't wait for dear season.

Return to New Jersey